Dean of Students
- Job Type
Begins: February 1, 2020
Scope of Position
The Dean of Students is the senior administrator charged with supervising the social development of students at the Academy, whether students live in the residence halls or off-campus with their parents. The Dean of Students oversees student conduct, school discipline, residential life, student programming outside the classroom, and student counseling services (excluding college counseling). The Dean of Students reports directly to the Head of School and is a member of the Executive Committee.
Position within the Organization
This is a full-time, twelve-month position reporting to the Head of School.
The Dean of Students lives on campus and assumes residential responsibilities as part of a Residential Life team, in addition to the duties listed below.
- Provide a safe and healthy environment in which students will develop character, values, and life skills
- Develop a set of campus rules and guidelines with the school’s Honor Council, to minimize student discipline issues
- Communicates with parents on students’ progress and adjustment to residential life and provides feedback as necessary
- Serve as the chief administrator of the residential staff
- Oversee the hiring as needed, training, and evaluation of residential House Parents, Associate House Parents, Student Life Associates, senior prefects, Director of Student Programming, and the Student Life Operations Manager
- Develop and facilitate the teaching of the residential life curriculum to all residential life faculty, staff, and students
- Oversee the Academy’s extracurricular student clubs, social activities, and major campus events (e.g. Family Weekend), external community service programs, opportunities for religious worship, student travel, and campus opening/closing for designated holidays
- Facilitate a full program of intramural house and student activities
- Oversee the Academy’s Social Action, community service, and community ambassador programs
- Serve on the Head of School Cabinet
- Master’s Degree or equivalent graduate education or a four-year college degree in an appropriate field of study
- A minimum of two years of leadership experience in a teen setting
- Four to six years of experience in a boarding school, day school, summer camp, youth programs, or equivalent setting
- A strong desire to work in a residential environment and any combination of attributes may be substituted for experiences specifically stated
- Deep knowledge of teenage behavior and psychological development
- Deep understanding of the learning process model in hopes of achieving continuous improvement and innovation throughout the campus community
- Integrity, creativity, and a keen sense of humor
- Experience in managing people in complex interpersonal environments
- Familiarity with coordinating multifaceted work schedules
- Proficiency in balancing multiple duties and responsibilities with excellence
- Acute organizational skills and attention to detail
- Adept at communicating with teenagers, teachers, and parents on a wide variety of topics
- Aptitude for leading in complex and stressful situations
- Creativity in problem-solving and in programming
- Propensity for making decisions that are perceived as fair and consistent
- Ability to manage conflict resolution, student discipline, and parent disenchantment with patience, decorum, discretion, professional demeanor, and without bias, prejudice, or breach of confidentiality
- Must reside on campus in provided housing
Dean of Students Living Arrangements
The Dean of Students lives on campus and may be called upon to serve on a house team in conjunction with other administrative duties.
Room and board are provided for the Dean and their family. Each residential house has an attached 2,400 square foot apartment. This apartment has two floors. On one floor are a master bedroom with a private bath, and three additional bedrooms and a second full bath and laundry. On the other floor are a spacious living room, dining room, kitchen space, a foyer, a bathroom, and a large personal study. The personal study connects to the living space in the residence hall and provides privacy for the Dean’s family. All House Parent apartments have a private entrance at ground level.
A limited number of two-car garages are available for residential faculty near the entrance to the campus. An electric golf cart is provided for convenient transportation on the Academy’s pedestrian campus. All residential faculty, staff, and their immediate family members are provided with full dining privileges on campus.
Confidentiality and Professionalism
The individual in this position will be privy to highly confidential information and as such, requires diplomacy, professionalism, courtesy, and discretion. This position can be stressful and demanding when time-sensitive deadlines at critical periods during the school year are necessary. A breach in confidentiality or professional decorum may be immediate grounds for termination of employment.
Salary and Benefits
The Academy offers competitive salaries and benefits commensurate with the candidates’ qualifications, credentials, and level of experience. The Academy provides a health insurance plan, life insurance plan, vision plan, dental insurance plan, long-term and short-term disability insurance plans, and a TIAA-CREF retirement plan. Optional insurance plans for extended coverages may also be available at additional costs. Employee benefits are subject to change at the Academy’s discretion. Campus housing is provided at the Academy’s discretion and may be required of certain employees as a condition of employment whose role assumes residential responsibilities and oversight of students.
Statement of Employment Policy
The Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Discrimination based on an individual’s sex (including gender or pregnancy), race, color, national origin, veteran status, age, disability, religion or sexual orientation, or other legally protected status is strictly prohibited.
The above position statement is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Apply for Dean of Students
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly