ESL Paraprofessional (SY 2019-20)
- Job Type
Dearborn STEM Academy is a Boston Public School and BPE Teaching Academy serving grades 6-12. We currently serve approximately 520 students. At capacity, Dearborn will serve 600 students. Our students are being prepared to graduate with the necessary skills required for college and career success. The school bridges rigorous academics with career readiness, and leverages Boston’s unique position in higher education and industry to provide students with access to authentic real world experiences, while cultivating critical thinking and communications skills.
Dearborn is a part of a PreK-12 neighborhood school pathway that includes the Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School (PreK-5). Our schools serve as training sites for aspiring teachers participating in the Boston Teacher Residency. In addition, the school is home to a full inclusion Emotional Impairment program and a Cape Verdean Creole SEI and SLIFE program. All of our students participate in intentionally designed STEM exposure, exploration, and engagement experiences in grades 6-12. All staff work collaboratively to enact ambitious teaching and learning in service of student achievement goals.
The school is currently seeking an ESL Paraprofessional. The paraprofessional will assist teachers in providing an innovative, high quality education program designed to meet the needs of the children in the Boston Public Schools. Paraprofessionals will work with school staff to create an educational environment in which quality and continuity are key factors in educating the our students.
Dearborn Principles of Instruction. Our core beliefs about good teaching are:
- The measure of good teaching is student learning.
- Good teaching requires knowledge of content, knowledge of how students typically learn and interact with particular content, and setting of clear instructional goals.
- Teachers must treat all students as sense-makers.
- Teachers must know all students as individuals and as learners.
- Teachers must design instruction for all students to do complex thinking and academic work.
- Teachers must enter into collaborative relationships with families and communities in service of student learning.
- Support direct instruction to children individually, in small groups, and in classroom settings.
- Provide assistance with classroom activities.
- Prepare instructional materials.
- Assist in classroom set up and clean up.
- Manage individual and classroom behavior, using prescribed approaches.
- Supervise students on field trip activities.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Principal.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Forty-eight (48) Credit Hours of College Coursework or an Associate's Degree, or a passing score on one of the two following Formalized Standardized Assessments: ParaPro Assessment (http://www.ets.org/parapro/ ) or WorkKeys Certificate of Proficiency for Teacher Assistants (http://www.act.org/workkeys/profcert/index.html ).
- Minimum of two years experience working with children.
- Current authorization to work in the United States - Candidates must have such authorization by their first day of employment
- Associate's or Bachelor's Degree.
- Certification as a teacher or license as a social worker. Fluency in Cape Verdean Creole.
The Dearborn STEM Academy, a BPS/BPE School, is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.