- Job Type
The New York Institute for Special Education (NYISE) located at 999 Pelham Parkway North, Bronx, NY (www.nyise.org) has a career opportunity for an Assistant Principal for our Readiness Program-Preschoolers who are developmentally delayed ages 3-5.
- Researches, develops and presents ongoing in-service training to all staff of instructional methodologies that meet the educational and therapeutic needs of our students as per their IEP goal.
- Researches, develops and presents to staff on a variety of developmentally and functionally appropriate activities, experiences and materials that meet the educational needs of our students for skill acquisition of their IEP.
- Researches, develops and presents staff with curricula that addresses the individual learning needs and styles of our students to further skill acquisition.
- Researches, develops and presents instructional methods which are compatible and complementary to the child’s IEP goals, using a variety of intervention approaches.
- Provides training to staff in skills assessment for ongoing evaluation and instructional planning to meet the educational needs of the students.
- Monitors and reviews progress and outcomes with classroom teams, using a collaborative, ongoing, systematic process to provide appropriate instructional practices.
- Directly supervises, on a daily basis, the instructional strategies and practices of the classroom staff to ensure that the students are provided with developmentally appropriate activities.
- Assists staff in developing effective practices that support parent-school connections.
- Ensures the proper acquisition, maintenance, storage, inventory, distribution, use, protection and disposal of all materials and equipment on an ongoing basis.
- Serves as a liaison with curriculum consultants and the staff to ensure quality program implementation of a variety of curricula and/or programs to meet the individual IEP goals of the students.
- Establishes and maintains a positive and productive relationship between the school and the community as well as other agencies. Establishes and maintains standards of conduct for staff and students.
- Works with the Program Principal, and Administration of The New York Institute in assessing, developing and implementing necessary measures to ensure quality programming for children and to determine future needs of the Readiness Program based on current enrollment and community needs.
- Is proficient in educational software programs as they are introduced and upgraded in the program and assist staff with developing their skills in this area.
- Reviews and monitors weekly lesson plan books to ensure developmentally appropriate activities are planned, implemented and target the students IEP goals and objectives.
- Participates in classroom team meetings to monitor and address program needs based on staff/student feedback.
- Ensures student safety at all times including supervision of students at arrival and dismissal and maintaining adequate classroom in staff absences.
- Assists in the development and implementation of practices for performance evaluation for all Readiness personnel.
- Perform duties and responsibilities of the job without physical restrictions.
- Maintain level of activity and physical assistance consistent with the needs of young children with disabilities ranging in age from 3-5, including but not limited to walking, lifting children up to 30 pounds onto a changing table, bending and sitting at child’s level to assist with activities and helping children on and off playground equipment.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Have successfully completed and graduated from an accredited graduate school program recognized by the State of New York and have completed all courses and fieldwork requirements for certification in the areas of early childhood special education, special education and school administration.
- Five years of experience as school administrator, preferably at the preschool level.
- Current certification in Early Childhood/Special Education (birth –grade 2) and School Administration and Supervision.
NYSHIP Health Benefits
NYS Local Retirement Pension
Tax Deferred 403b
NYS Deferred Compensation 457B
Sick and Personal Time
Parking on site
Apply for Assistant Principal
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly