Middle School Guidance Counselor/Social Worker (JCMS)
- Grade Level
- Middle School
Middle School Guidance Counselor/Social Worker/Middle School Guidance Counselor/Social Worker
Junction City Middle School
Division/Department: Middle School
Job Category: Counselor
Title: Middle School Guidance Counselor/Social Worker
Qualifications: *Currently hold or be eligible for Kansas certification as school counselor grades 6-8
* Candidates with an M.S. in Social Work and Kansas License to Practice will be considered
*A strong personal commitment to promote the effective schools program
*A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, administration, and parents
*A demonstrated knowledge of effective guidance techniques
Reports To: Building Principal
Executive Director of Student Support Services
Provide a comprehensive, developmental guidance and counseling program for all children in grades 6-8 to assist students in learning skills needed for academic success and personal/social and career development; plan, conduct, and supervise classroom and group activities; provide responsive services to individuals and small groups; work cooperatively with students, families, teachers, and staff; consult with teachers, parents and staff to enhance children's educational, personal/social and career development; support other elementary level educational programs.
- Counsel students with interpersonal social adjustment problems
- Counsel students with academic or attendance problems
- Conduct group counseling and classroom guidance sessions
- Serve as liaison: student, teacher, parent administrator, and community
- Identify students with interpersonal challenges and work with students and parents to meet the needs
- Conduct testing and interpret results to help students understand their aptitudes, abilities, and achievement
- Help to implement the Olweus Bully Prevention Program
- Maintain student record files
- Perform other duties as assigned by the principal.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee performing the duties of this position is frequently required to walk, sit, talk, hear, bend, stoop, and reach. The employee may be occasionally required to manually lift, move, or carry up to 50 pounds. The employee is required to interact with staff and meet the demands of several different people. The employee is responsible for the work output of others. The employee occasionally works extended hours. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to maintain regular and good work attendance and come to work on time.
- Ability to work constructively and cooperatively with others.
- Ability to respond to information requests in a courteous, timely and helpful manner.
- Ability to manage job responsibilities while meeting established deadlines.
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student and staff information.
Salary Range: Determined by placement on salary schedule.
Evaluation Frequency: Job performance will be evaluated a minimum of 1 time per year.
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Geary County USD #475 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and/or activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. For questions or complaints based on race, color, national origin, sex or age, please contact the USD 475 Executive Director of Personnel Services, 123 N. Eisenhower, Junction City, KS 66441. Telephone: 785.717.4000. For questions or complaints based on disability, please contact the USD 475 Executive Director of Special Education, 123 N. Eisenhower, Junction City, KS 66441. Telephone: 785.717.4000