Assistant - Teacher
Position: Teacher Assistant
Reports to: Dean of Academics
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Pay Grade: TBD
Job Type Full Time
Work Hours Normal School hours
Under direct supervision, performs duties that are instructional in nature or may deliver direct services to students or parents. Serves in a position for which a teacher or another professional has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services. Assists with test administration. May provide specialized assistance for students with special needs.
• High School Diploma or G.E.D.
• Minimum of 48 college hours is preferred.
• Experience working with children is preferred.
• Texas Educational Aide Certification is preferred or the ability to acquire it.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assists teacher(s) with student academic goals, by working with small groups of children or an individual child.
• Assists teacher(s) in the enforcement of classroom management and behavioral plans, creating an environment that is appropriate for learning.
• Assists with supervising students during breakfast, recess, lunch, dismissal, special events, and programs.
• Assists teacher(s) in the preparation of paperwork for the ARD/IEP process. Collects and enters data for completion of special education reports and documents.
• Assists teacher(s) with the planning, preparation and implementation of differentiated instruction for individual students and groups.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms with all levels of management, both internal and external to the district.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internal and external to the district.
• Ability to organize special programs for assigned campus.
• Ability to use computer including software, database used by the district, spreadsheet and word processing software, calculator, copy machine and telephone.
• Ability to analyze data
• Ability to use effective interview techniques, effective public speaking skills, and problem-solving skills
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Light Work: may require occasional light lifting.
• Nights and weekend activities will be occasionally required.
• Position is in classroom setting and requires intermittent speaking, standing, walking and writing.
• Moderate travel is required.