Superintendent - Bessemer, Alabama
- Job Type
The Bessemer, Alabama, Board of Education is seeking an experienced educator and administrator to inspire and lead the system’s administrators, faculty and staff. The successful candidate will be expected to lead the team to set and achieve the highest standards of excellence, so every student receives a complete and meaningful education. The board is seeking a candidate who is:
- A proven instructional leader who can increase student achievement;
- Adept at building relationships and communicating with parents, local leaders and the community;
- Skilled at setting high expectations and holding staff accountable;
- Experienced at improving morale and creating a culture of teamwork;
- Adept at recruiting and retaining quality teachers;
- Able to make difficult decisions and implement them firmly and fairly;
- Knowledgeable about school finance;
- Able to successfully implement change; and
- Committed to making data-driven decisions.
Alabama law requires the superintendent be chosen for general fitness and character and that he/she be knowledgeable in school administration. The successful applicant also must have or be eligible for the appropriate certification to serve as a superintendent in Alabama. A master's degree from a recognized four-year college or university is required. The board prefers a candidate with at least three years of superintendent/assistant superintendent experience.
Application Deadline: Oct. 14, 2019