Substitute School Security Officer
Substitute and Temporary/Substitute Security Officer
Open until filled
Candidates may be selected prior to the closing date of the posting.
Location: Secondary Schools Supervisor: Mr. James Bailey, Security Supervisor Employment Period: 10 months Employment Status: Temporary Pay rate: $13.54 / hour Start Date: As soon as possible
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Daily substitutes may be required to perform the following:
- Patrols assigned buildings and grounds and monitors security cameras to prevent student disruptions, vandalism, illegal entry and other activities that detract from a safe school environment.
- Maintains a high level of visibility as students arrive and depart from school and as they change classes during the school day.
- Enforces School Board and school policies and procedures regarding the conduct of persons on school property.
- Confronts unauthorized persons for questioning, routes or detains them, or calls police for assistance as necessary.
- Assists principal and staff in stopping altercations, arguments or other forms of disruptive or illegal behavior.
- Maintains alertness to illegal substances or weapons being carried or stored on school property.
- Participates in random security checks.
- Conducts metal detector searches for contraband and illegal substances.
- Prepares required written reports of incidents and disciplinary referrals as necessary.
- Offers testimony in court or before the School Board as necessary.
- Collaborates with and assists public safety personnel (police, fire, EMT) who respond to calls on school grounds.
- Participates in the conduct of fire drills and other emergency building evacuations.
- May be responsible for activating/de-activating smoke/fire/intrusion alarms and securing the building.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Some related security experience in a public school setting preferred.
- Ability to stand at assigned station and patrol assigned buildings and grounds for long periods of time. Standing, twisting, turning, pushing, pulling, bending, crawling, crouching, stooping, and kneeling may be required while patrolling school grounds and responding to incidents.
- Sufficient strength to restrain/detain aggressive students, intruders, and trespassers who may physically resist.
- Ability to immediately respond to an emergency in any part of the location assigned or any other Hampton City Schools location as needed.
You may apply anytime before midnight on the closing date. The following information is required to be considered for the position:
- Feedback on reference forms from all persons listed as references (minimum of two)
Hampton City Schools does not discriminate in employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability or other protected class. Personnel decisions are based on merit and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Executive Director of Human Resources, One Franklin Street, Hampton, VA 23669; (757) 727-2300
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request.