Adult Education - ESL Classroom Paraeducator
Scope of work: To serve as an integral member of the WERACE instructional team to provide services to students who demonstrate the need for ESL support services.
Reports to: Adult Education Director
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with individual students or small groups of students under the supervision of a certified teacher to reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced by the teacher.
- Assist the teacher in devising learning experiences to reinforce skills based on the language developmental level of the individual students.
- Guide independent study, enrichment work and remedial work set and assigned by the teacher.
- Works with students in small group or individually on mastering concepts and vocabulary in the target language
- May work in a particular classroom assignment or work in a variety of classrooms throughout the day, based on programmatic needs.
- Alert the teacher(s) regarding any problem or special information related to an individual student.
- Maintain the same high level of ethical behavior and sensitivity of information about students as is expected of a certified teacher.
- Participate in professional development training programs, as required.
- Approach student proficiency in English with patience and support
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
Salary: $ 13.13 hourly
Employee Group: Paraeducator Union
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Exhibits a clear understanding of techniques and strategies for working with ELL students and uses them when applicable
- Must possess the skills necessary to work productively with adult learners.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions effectively.
- Exhibits proficiency in basic reading, math, writing, and speaking English and preferably Spanish
- Preference given to individuals who are fluent in Spanish or other targeted language, based upon openings
- Utilizes and maintains ethical practices for confidential communication about students.
- Must exhibit good judgment, patience, tact and courtesy.
- Must possess a high school diploma.
- Must meet NCLB compliance requirements, as applicable. Candidates must possess an Associates Degree or 60 college credits OR successful completion of the Parapro Assessment Examination.
- Must possess or be willing to acquire the skills necessary to support needs associated English language learners
- Experience/training in working with adult learners preferred
Please go on-line at www.danbury.k12.ct.us job listings