Director of Curriculum/Instruction and Assessment
- Job Type
Position Summary: The Director of Curriculum/Instruction and Assessment is a member of the school leadership team and responsible for the supervision of the teaching staff and implementation and assessment of the curricular program in a highly individualized and supportive special education learning environment. The key function of this position is to evaluate curricula, classroom instructional strategies, and assessment practices with the aim to increase student engagement and growth. Responsibilities include curriculum design and planning, research, data analysis, student and instructional assessment, organization and implementation of standardized testing, staff professional development and coaching. This position also manages the School Resource and Technology Resource functions.
- Collaborate with teachers, paraprofessionals and administrators to develop methods of evaluating existing curricula and assessing the quality of classroom instruction.
- Provide 1:1 supervision and group input and coaching for the purpose of enhancing teacher knowledge and application of educational curriculum content and instructional technique and strategies.
- Monitor classroom assessment practices and ensure results are utilized and guide continuous instructional improvement.
- Manage school Resource Faculty and services, including standardized testing, pullout services, and technology.
- Manage the Technology Resource Staff and implementation of the school Technology Plan and program objectives, interpretation of regulations, and identifying and procuring technology related resources.
- Provide input and recommendations on professional development for teaching staff to School Principal
- Develop, identify, and provide both teacher and paraprofessional professional development and trainings, based upon identified areas for improvement and new practices and curricula.
- Review quarterly and annual student and school performance data to assess overall effectiveness of current curricula and instructional practices.
- Oversees organization and implementation of annual standardized assessments.
- Facilitate and oversee the ongoing evaluation of student learning, instruction and assessment.
- Review teachers’ weekly lesson plans to monitor level and balance of learning activities, integration of technology, homework, and student projects.
- Oversee maintenance of training and curriculum resources and serve as a resource to others
- Function as a fully active and effective member of the schools Administrative Team and participates in shared duties of the leadership team.
- Work collaboratively with internal Continuous Quality Improvement department and personnel. l
- Collaborate and communicate with school staff, students, parents / guardians, other stakeholders.
- Possesses a strong working knowledge of local, state, and national educational guidelines, policies, and regulations for both general and special education.
- Has strong working knowledge of range of needs and backgrounds represented in diverse learners.
- Ensure all education staff have a development plan and attend necessary trainings
- Communicate timely and consistently with staff, students and stakeholder regarding practices, important dates and timelines
- Schedules and participates in qualitative professional development activities.
- Successfully completes training in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI); successfully complete all requirements to maintain certification in TCI.
- Natural desire to assess, enhance and influence school and educator practices and student and school outcomes.
- Enjoys researching, developing and evaluating new curricula and teaching methods, selecting appropriate textbooks and other educational resources materials.
- Serves as an in-house advisor to teachers and administrators on education practices and leads implementation of innovative ideas to enhance teaching and learning
- Self-directed, able to work independently as well as with and in groups.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills to provide clear guidance, instructions or information.
- Shows strong leadership skills (i.e.; provides a clear vision of the function, builds trust, provides motivation to team members, holds self and others accountable, and gives feedback) that guide actions and supports others in achievement of goals
- Thrives in a fast paced environment and is able to be flexible and shift gears quickly based on situations or changing priorities.
- Has the ability to assess educational policies and evaluate relativity to the school and / or students or stakeholders.
- Independently able to exercise sound professional judgment and the ability to establish and maintain boundaries.
- Utilizes problem solving sills to develop reasonable solutions to navigate complex problems and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm in high-stress situations while maintaining an understanding and supportive demeanor.
Current Educator certification with completion of college program for Curriculum Specialist or Curriculum Studies with Teacher Leader Endorsement.
M.A. or M.Ed. required
- Minimum two years’ experience as special needs educator and / or modifying curriculum and academic instruction for diverse learning groups.
- Experience with integration of technology for academic instruction preferred.
- Experience with employee supervision and /or educational leadership roles; minimum 2-3 years of experience preferred.
- Knowledge of G-Suite for Education a plus
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs.
- Proven ability to lead, teach, and mentor teachers, paraprofessionals, and other education professionals as needed
- Able to successfully complete the physical and testing requirements Therapeutic Crisis Intervention training (Agency provided).
JCFS Chicago offers an array of benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Wellness, Paid sick and vacation time, Agency holidays, Pension, 403(b), Flexible Spending Plans, and Life Insurance.
Please visit us at http://www.jcfs.org
JCFS Chicago is committed to serving the needs of the diverse Chicago metropolitan area. Accredited by COA, Charter member of CWLA, Licensed by DCFS
JCFS Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer: disability/veteran JCFS Chicago provides a reasonable accommodation to those who need assistance in completing this applicationEfficient and effective time management and effective prioritization skills.