Coordinator of Transportation & Other Business Services
Miscellaneous/ Coordinator of Transportation & Other Business Services
Board of Education Offices
The Coordinator of Transportation and Other Business Services will be responsible for the planning, coordinating and managing of the transportation program for the public and non-public school children and for selected activities relative to the administration of the school budget. The work requires the exercise of considerable initiative and judgment and is performed under the general direction of the Chief Financial Officer.
- Degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in public administration, business administration, logistics or a related field preferred;
- Proficient in computer software programs such as Microsoft Office, Google, etc. required;
- Experience and knowledge of the principles, methods, techniques and practices of budget administration and the ability to organize, write and present reports on budgetary and transportation matters preferred;
- Ability to exercise considerable initiative and judgment, examine problems and concerns, and render sound decisions based on policy, practicality and foresight;
- Ability to effectively communicate and maintain effective work relationships with the public, school administrators, staff, contractors, and others;
- Experience and knowledge of practices relating to public and non-public school transportation, including Connecticut motor vehicle laws and applicable regulations, preferred; and
- Knowledge of software technology to efficiently schedule bus routes and stops preferred.
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer – Westport Public Schools
Contract Provisions: A compensation package will be offered that is both commensurate with the candidate's experience/credentials and is comparable to similar districts in the region.
Start Date: 9/2/2019
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin on August 5, 2019
- Internal applicants must submit an online application through the Westport Public Schools website. Job # 1340 (Please be sure to select internal applicant. This signifies one's current status as a Westport employee.)
- External applicants must submit an online application through the Westport Public Schools website. Job # 1340 (Paper copies will not be accepted.)
- Assume responsibility for the development and administration of the transportation requirements for all instructional programs;
- Manage all costs and payments for transportation program;
- Implement and maintain necessary records to ensure compliance with the Transportation Contract;
- Prepare and update bus routes and schedules for regular transportation, Pre School, and special needs programming;
- Coordinate implementation of individual transportation plans for all special needs students;
- Recruits, trains, and monitors the performance of bus monitors;
- Makes regular field inspections of buses and bus routes. Inspections will include loading and unloading effectiveness, observation of bus activities, etc.;
- Maintains excellent system of communication with all schools and families in addressing transportation needs;
- Collaborates with Police Department on safety issues including but not limited to Traffic Control;
- Conforms and submits reports required by Connecticut statutes and regulations regarding school transportation;
Responsibilities relative to Business Services:
- Arranges Safety Committee Meetings, Prepares agenda and minutes, etc. Responsible for: OSHA compliance;
- Assist with district wide emergency planning related to transportation;
- Student Activities Management- monitor and audit all school activity fund accounts;
- Assist in managing the Westport Public Schools subsidized lunch program;
- Assist in development and preparation of Contracts, Bids, and/or Requests for Proposals for transportation related services.
The Westport Board of Education will not make employment decision (including decisions related to hiring, assignment, compensation, promotion, demotion, disciplinary action and termination) on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability (including pregnancy), genetic information, veteran status or gender identity or expression, except in the case of a bona fide occupational qualification.