Elementary School ELA Instructional Coach/Dean of Teacher Effectiveness (19-20 School Year)
- Grade Level
- Elementary School
Who We Are
Achievement Prep is an award-winning college-preparatory public charter school network committed to historically underserved communities of Southeast Washington, DC. Our flagship middle school, which opened in 2008, serves approximately 500 scholars in 4th - 8th grade. Opening in 2013, our elementary school, serves approximately 350 scholars in K - 3rd grade. It also includes an early childhood partnership with AppleTree Institute, which serves approximately 160 preK3 and preK4 scholars. Our mission is to prepare students to excel as high-achieving scholars and leaders in high school, college and beyond.
What You Will Do
The Dean of Teacher Effectiveness (DTE) focuses on supporting teachers to deliver the most rigorous and joyful academic experience for scholars through observation, feedback, data-driven instruction, curriculum & assessment, professional development, and building team culture. S/he is responsible for working with a grade band (either K - 3, 4 - 5, or 6 - 8) and/or content specific group of 6-8 teachers. The DTE is the direct coach and developer of the assigned teachers. S/he is responsible for the coaching, development, growth and performance of the assigned teachers as evidenced by scholar achievement.
Reporting to the Assistant Principal of Instruction and working with the assigned group of 6-8 teachers, you will:
- Coach, develop, & manage a team of 6 - 8 teachers daily
- Ensure that the core curriculum is implemented with fidelity
- Observe each teacher at least once per week and provide formal and informal feedback
- Hold and facilitate weekly one-on-one coaching and development meetings with each teacher
- Facilitate weekly content team meetings and opportunities to analyze scholar work
- Support teachers to develop competence in the curricula though modeling, observing, providing feedback and supporting teacher reflection and implementation
- Work with teachers in establishing positive classroom climates, high scholar achievement and strong school culture
- Support teachers in the implementation of ongoing assessment, data collection and data analysis to ensure mastery of standards across the content areas
- Set data-driven academic goals and outcomes for teachers, and monitor progress and adjust as necessary towards the same
- Track/monitor teacher responsiveness to feedback as evidenced by implementation of strategies, action plans and weekly goals
- Review and provide feedback on lesson plans and materials for classroom instruction
- Review and analyze scholar data and develop action plans with API, Assistant Principal of Culture and teachers
- Review teacher lesson plans for quality ensuring standards alignment, rigor, differentiation, etc., and provide feedback on same
- Create weekly/bi-weekly assessments for specific content area(s) and grade band
- Provide leadership to all staff and scholars in establishing a positive, structured, and achievement-oriented school culture
- Ensure that teachers set extremely high expectations and manage their classes in accordance with the Achievement Prep Way
- Coach teachers to continually improve their instructional practice, especially as it relates to issues of classroom management and school culture
- Oversee effective and frequent communication with families from teachers
- Maintain a culture centered on our ethos and core values of Determination, Respect, Enthusiasm, Accountability, and Mastery
- Exhibit an unwavering commitment to high academic achievement and character development in our scholars
- Manage time, tasks, deadlines and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment and hold others accountable for the same
Support and Intervention Leadership
- Support teachers in developing and implementing targeted interventions
- Use coaching tools effectively (classroom observation tools, data sheets, scholar action plans, etc.)
- Help teachers develop and implement classroom-based, developmentally appropriate interventions for individual children and groups of children to enhance their acquisition of social/emotional and cognitive skills
- Conduct formal and informal evaluations and professional growth plans for teacher caseload
- Complete formal and informal observations of teacher caseload
- Meet weekly with API to discuss teacher caseload progress and scholar achievement
- Support all school-based assessments as needed
- Attend and facilitate professional development as needed
- Receive continuous feedback from peers and school leaders on your practice and be expected to give the same
Be willing to take on additional responsibilities as necessary to fulfill Achievement Prep's mission for our scholars
You Must Have
- Bachelor's degree
- 3+ years of experience as a teacher of record in an urban elementary school setting
- 2+ years of instructional leadership in an urban elementary school setting: instructional coach, assistant principal or equivalent
- Proven track record of success with student outcomes, staff management, and professional development
- Ability to regularly be one of the first to arrive and last to leave daily (staff hours: 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM MTThF; to 5:00 PM Wed.)
It Would Be Nice for You to Have
- A Master's degree in education, educational leadership, or organizational leadership
- 5+ years of teaching experience and 3+ years of leadership experience
Who You Are
You know and understand the power of education and have seen, first hand, that power manifested either in your life or in the lives of others. You are committed to serving historically underserved communities knowing that your work is part of a larger ecosystem committed to change. You believe in a quality public education for all and are determined to serve every child that comes your way. You are unapologetically mission driven and will do whatever it takes to advance the work and ensure scholar achievement. You are excited about not just the work, but doing the work at Achievement Prep. You are familiar with our community and are not afraid of or by all the beauty and challenges that come with living in impoverished communities. You value and respect everyone and demonstrate that respect in words and actions.
You know while there are no excuses in this work, the scholars we serve require a leader who will differentiate for all yet keep excellence the bar that is maintained at all times. You understand your effectiveness and performance is directly tied to the success and growth of the teachers you coach. You know culture and instruction are inextricably linked, with the establishment of a strong culture taking precedence in order to promote an environment that is 100% conducive to learning. You know that deficits (present in adults and/or scholars) are representative of skill gaps until clear evidence proves otherwise, and therefore individuals deserve to be developed to meet their potential. You are open to feedback, eager to grow, and bring your best to everything you do. You know the work isn't easy and don't expect for it to be. The grind of our mission ignites you. You are not only capable of performing but thrive in circumstances involving ambiguity and nuance. You look for or create the joy in your day-to-day and want to work with others who do, too.
What We Value
- 100% Scholars: You prioritize what's best for scholars in the decisions you make.
- Results Without Excuses: You set, track and achieve ambitious goals for yourself and your team; you own the mistakes.
- Sweat the Small Stuff: You pay attention to the smallest details to ensure smooth, predictable, and effective outcomes.
- Community Matters - Mightily: You show care and respect for others - even when the work is taxing.
- Unapologetically Mission-Driven: You have a "whatever it takes" mentality in achieving the mission.
- Many Minds, One Mission: You value and partner with parents and the community for the good of scholars.
What You Get
- Ongoing weekly or bi-weekly coaching and development from manager
- Compensation & Benefits
- Achievement Prep offers highly competitive compensation
- Medical, vision, dental benefits
- Flexible spending accounts for transit, dependent care, and medical expenses
- 401k with automatic immediate employer matching up to 4% of salary
- It Pays to Stay
- Upon completion of 2 full school years of service, employees become eligible for annual loyalty incentives
- Gifts and Achievement Prep swag
More searches like this
- Administrator Elementary School jobs in Washington D.C.
- Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment & PD Elementary School jobs in Washington D.C.
- Instructional Coach / PD Elementary School jobs in Washington D.C.
- Principal Elementary School jobs in Washington D.C.
- Teaching Elementary School jobs in Washington D.C.