Administration/ Director, Finance
Additional Information: Show/Hide General Statement:
The Director of Finance is responsible for the efficient and effective leadership of the Finance Department of the school district.Major Responsibilities:
Directs all aspects of the following areas: Manages Financial Resources Performs Planning, Budgeting, Forecasting (20%) – Develops and maintains budget policies and procedures; prepares periodic budgets and plans; prepares periodic forecasts; performs cost accounting and control; performs inventory accounting. Performs Financial Reporting (20%) – Prepares departmental financial statements; prepares consolidated financial statements; performs departmental reporting/ review management reports; performs consolidated reporting/ review of cost management reports; prepares statements for board; produces quarterly/annual filings and public reports; produces regulatory reports. Performs General Accounting (10%) – Manages policies and procedures; negotiates service level agreements; establishes accounting policies; sets up and enforces approval limits; establishes common financial systems; maintains chart of accounts; processes journal entries; processes allocations; posts and reconciles interagency transactions; reconciles general ledger accounts. Processes Accounts Receivable (AR), Adjustments, Expenses (10%) – Establishes AR policies; prepares AR reports; manages and processes collections; manages and processes adjustments and deductions; serves as a liaison with the City to process payroll. Evaluates and Manages Financial Performance (10%) – Evaluates program and services effectiveness; determines and measures cost drivers; determines critical activities; evaluates new programs and services; manages continuous cost improvement; operates controls and monitors compliance with internal controls policies and procedures; designs and implements control activities; monitors control effectiveness; remediates control deficiencies; creates compliance function; operates compliance function; collaborates with Director of Research to perform return on investment analyses. Capital Planning (10%) – Implements practices and procedures for capital planning, approval and implementation of expenditure plans and budgets; assists in the development of capital projects. Processes Accounts Payable (AP) (5%) – Verifies AP pay file with purchase order vendor master file; maintains/manages electronic commerce; audits invoices and key data into AP system; approves payments; processes financial accruals and reversals; processes payroll taxes; researches/resolves payroll exceptions; processes payments. Bids, Contracts and RFPs (5%) – Administers bidding process and contracts for vendor performance/compliance within established policies (e.g., prepare specifications, evaluate bids, recommend vendors, conduct bid meetings, etc.) for the purpose of securing items and or services; manages RFP process for facilities and facilities management services. Other Duties (10%) Coordinates with and responds to Board of Education, City Departments and City Boards –Controller's Office, Planning Board, Board of Finance, and other Boards. Represents the Superintendent of Schools as needed. Performs additional duties as determined by Chief Finance and Operations Support Officer. Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
Works in standard office and school building environments.Knowledge and Skills:
- Commitment to creating schools that provide an education that cultivates productive habits of mind, body, and heart in every student.
- Knowledge of and experience in school finance, capital planning and financial systems.
- Ability to collaborate as part of an integrated team and develops a collegial environment within the school to support students and programs.
- Use of data-driven decision making to determine effectiveness of programs and initiatives.
- Excellent conceptual, analytical, problem solving, organization, and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, policies, and procedures related to public schools, specifically related to school budgets.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information, develop and monitor a plan and produce data-focused reports.
- Strong record budget development/administration & understanding financial resources.
- Self-directed with attention to detail and excellent time management skills.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and a proven track record of working collaboratively with multiple and diverse constituencies.
- High standards of ethics, honesty, and integrity.
- Advanced degree in management, finance and/or accounting.
- Minimum five (5) years successful experience in management of multiple fiscal and operations departments.
- Experience in municipal fiscal and operations management (education sector experience preferred).
- Strong internal and external communications, interpersonal and problem-solving capabilities.
12 months in keeping with contracts for executive management personnelSalary:
Board Approved 05/01/2018