Freshman Academy Principal
Battle Creek Central H.S.
Battle Creek Public Schools
Location: Battle Creek Central High School
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
As a member of the administrative team, the Academy Principal is responsible for all aspects of students including but not limited to establishing and maintaining an effective learning climate, managing discipline, implementing Board Policy and maintaining communications. The Academy Principal carries the shared responsibility for the supervision and evaluation of staff, working collaboratively with the administrative team members and other duties as may be directed by the building principal. To perform those tasks assigned by the building principal and assist the building principal in the development and continuous implementation of a high school program which promotes the educational well-being of each student in the school.
Required Professional Preparation and Experience:
- Valid Michigan Secondary Education Administrative Certification.
- 4+ years of successful teaching experience.
- Master's Degree in Administration, Education, or Counseling.
- Successful experience with, and a commitment to, school improvement, strategic planning, and the ability to provide evidence of successful outcomes.
- Successful experience in working with a culturally diverse community, staff and student population
- Previous leadership or administrative experience
- Knowledge of teaching methodologies and ability to provide assistance and instructional leadership to teachers requiring instructional assistance.
- Knowledgeable in, and skilled in the application of programming procedures appropriate for large high schools.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to work effectively with groups and individuals.
- Demonstrated skills in organization, communication, and problem solving.
- Desire to work in a multi-faceted, fast-paced environment where school improvement and student success are guiding priorities.
- Ability to collect, disaggregate and interpret data in ways that meaningfully contribute to school improvement and student success.
- Demonstrate a relentless commitment to the continuous improvement of self and the organization.
- Solid understanding of Leadership Theory, Organizational Behavior, Performance Excellence and/or Systems.
- Ability to work with culturally diverse community, staff and student population.
- Accepts responsibility as delegated by the principal for the administration and supervision of the high school in accordance with all applicable state and federal laws, the policies developed by the school board and those portions of the collective bargaining agreement that pertain to the high school.
- Participates in planning and decision making in such a way that the best educational interests of the high school programs and the school in general are represented.
- Implements the BCPS teacher evaluation system. This includes observation, report preparation, conferencing, assisting and providing instruction leadership.
- Assists in the administration of instructional and curricular programs for the building.
- Evaluates and supervises the work of high school teachers and support staff as directed by the principal.
- Assists in the development of in-service programs for building staff.
- Assists in developing, maintaining, and communicating building procedures to staff, parents, and students.
- Ensures and maintains accurate records of student discipline, attendance, and grades.
- Assists in developing and maintaining effective building and corporation safety, including emergency and disaster procedures.
- Assists in developing and maintaining effective school/community relations.
- Supervises student conduct and assumes responsibility for the enforcement of discipline as necessary, providing due process and respect for the rights of students.
- Administers the student attendance policy.
- Collects and uses data in ways that promote school improvement and student achievement.
- Supervises the use of the school building by the community.
- Serves as liaison between visitors to the building and school personnel.
- Attends and participates in meetings and committees as directed by the principal or District Administrator
- Works as a team member to meet the system-wide needs of the district.
- Participates actively in professional growth activities.
- Displays a positive, productive, and enthusiastic attitude in day to day interactions with staff, students, and the community.
- As requested, acts as the principal's designee for special education conferences, Section 504 conferences and intervention proceedings.
- Supervises student activities and ancillary areas.
- Performs other duties as are assigned by the Building Principal or District Administrator.
Internal and External Candidates who are qualified and wish to be considered for this position must submit an EXTERNAL online application (found at www.battlecreekpublicschools.org ) that includes:
- Online Application
- Letter of Application
- Current resume
- College or university transcripts
- Credentials (including three current letters of reference)
- Other information demonstrating knowledge and successful experiences
The Battle Creek Public School District is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, handicap, sex, age, religion, national origin, weight, height, or marital status in its employment practices.