- Grade Level
- Elementary School
South Mountain/Annex Elementary School
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
1.0 FTE - SOUTH MOUNTAIN/ANNEX ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS
Work Year Base Salary Deadline
June 12, 2019 11 months As per ASCA Until Position Filled
AVAILABLE: JULY 1, 2019
The Elementary Principal will provide dynamic leadership in developing and implementing high quality instructional programs and motivating and evaluating staff to ensure student achievement and success. The principal must serve as the educational leader in implementing district goals and maintaining a safe, secure and nurturing learning environment. He/she must facilitate curriculum implementation, program assessment, evaluation of staff, and school and community relations in a high achieving multi-cultural environment.
- New Jersey Principal Certificate.
- Experience as an Elementary Principal or School District Administrator.
- Demonstrated understanding of the learning needs of elementary students, as well as familiarity with multiple intelligences, differentiated instruction and related programs to meet students needs.
- A serious commitment to diversity and multicultural education.
- A collaborative leadership style in working with a team of administrators, teachers and parents.
- Strong interpersonal, team building and communication skills.
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
POSITION TITLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
- New Jersey Principal Certification
- Teaching/administrative experience at the elementary school level
- Demonstrates understanding of the learning needs of elementary and educational programs to meet those needs
- Commitment to multicultural education
- Commitment to a collegial leadership style in working with a team of principals and supervisors
- Commitment to parent involvement
- High energy level
- Computer proficiency
REPORTS TO Superintendent of Schools
JOB GOAL(S) To lead the school staff in developing and implementing appropriate programs for elementary level students.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY AND AUTHORITY Supervises all building staff
- Collaborates with district chairs and directors in the development, revision and evaluation of the curriculum.
- Assumes responsibility for the implementation of the curriculum.
- Develops the master teaching schedule.
- Projects staffing needs.
- Participates in the recruitment process.
- Collaborates with district chairs and directors in recommending staff for appointment.
- Determines teaching and special assignments.
- Collaborates with appropriate supervisors in the evaluation of staff.
- Orients newly assigned staff members and assists in their development.
- Plans and participates in the formative supervision of staff.
- Conducts faculty meetings.
- Provides for other building level development opportunities - e.g. team meetings, workshops.
- Collaborates with district staff in planning and carrying out in-service programs.
- Provides a physically and emotionally safe learning environment for students.
- Provides opportunities and guidance for the social and psychological development of students.
- Attends special events held to recognize student achievement, and attends school-sponsored activities, functions and co-curricular events.
- Maintains high standards of student conduct and enforces discipline as necessary.
Parents and Community
- Conducts regular meetings of Parent Advisory Committee.
- Serves as advisor and liaison to the P.T.A.
- Provides opportunities for the active involvement of parents at building and classroom level.
- Confers with parents who have concerns.
- Establishes and maintains favorable relationships with local community groups and individuals to foster understanding and solicit support for overall school objectives and program; to interpret Board policies and administrative directives; and to discuss and resolve individual student problems.
- Prepares and administers the school budget in collaboration with district supervisors.
- Supervises the handling of the school activity account.
- Oversees fundraising by students in accordance with Board policy 5830.
- Provides for a safe and clean learning environment.
- Supervises the daily use of the school facilities for both academic and non-academic purposes.
- Provides for adequate inventories of property and for the security and accountability for that property.
- Identifies areas in need of repair, remodeling or alteration to suit the educational program.
- Ensures that the District Belief Statement is followed at the building level.
- Assumes responsibility for all official school correspondence.
- In consultation with the Superintendent and the district's Communications Coordinator assumes responsibility for all official news releases to the media.
- Interprets and enforces district policies, administrative regulations and contractual requirements.
- Supervises the maintenance of accurate records on the attendance of student and staff.
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of reports, records, lists, and all other paperwork as required by law or Board policy, or appropriate to the school's administration.
- Plans and supervises required fire drills.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS To maintain effective relationships with teachers, parents,
OF THE POSITION students, administrators and appropriate community groups.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT 11 Months
Salary as per ASCA Agreement
It is not the intent of this description to cover every one of the duties and responsibilities of this position. It lists most of the significant areas and is intended to convey a general understanding of the assignment. However, evaluation of performance will be based on the duties and responsibilities listed in the job description.