K.T. Murphy Elementary School: 0.5 FTE Special Education Teacher
- Job Type
Special Education/ Special Ed - Elementary School
2019-2020 School Year
The filling of this position is based upon continued funding in the Board of Education budget.
Note: Teachers dually certified in TESOL, Bilingual Education or ESL, with experience in Sheltered Instruction or fluency in a language other than English, will be given preference for all Stamford Public School positions.
A competent Special Education Teacher understands growth and development, demonstrates knowledge of what is to be taught and facility in the basic skills and helps students to develop positive self-concepts. The Special Education Teacher stimulates the independence of each student as a learner, effectively assess student needs and progress, and plans instruction to achieve selected objectives, involving those appropriate for exceptional students. The Special Education Teacher accomplishes these objectives through effective communication with students, parents, and colleagues and through the use of appropriate techniques and materials in a positive climate where time, space and equipment are effectively organized for instruction. In addition, the Special Education Teacher meets professional responsibility for continuing growth and fosters cooperative involvement with parents and the community.
- Demonstrates facility in the skills of the reading, writing and mathematics.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the subject to be taught.
- Demonstrates knowledge of human growth and development as it relates to the teaching-learning process.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the American public school system.
- Plans instruction to achieve selected objectives.
- Effectively implements instructional plan and use appropriate instructional techniques.
- Effectively communicates with students.
- Helps students develop positive self-concepts.
- Facilitates the independence of the student as learner.
- Effectively organizes time, space, materials and equipment for instruction.
- Effectively assesses student needs and progress.
- Effectively meets the needs of exceptional students.
- Establishes a positive learning environment.
- Meets professional responsibilities.
- Encourages and maintains the cooperative involvement and support of parents and the community.
- Experience with Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA).
- Able to supervise Educational Assistants.
- Ability to maintain pertinent data and analyze it.
- Able to implement exclusionary practices/co-teaching.
- Connecticut Teaching Certificate in 165-Comprehensive Special Education, K-12.
- Record of demonstrated superior performance as a special education teacher.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the field.
- Ability to solve problems and execute responsibilities.
- Capacity to communicate effectively with students, staff members and parents.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- High standard of ethics, honesty and integrity.
- Willingness to assume extra responsibilities.
Stamford Education Association (SEA)
Per SEA Contract
Online application is required.
Internal Applicants: Please paste a cover letter (summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position) and resume in the comments section of the Internal Application. In addition, be prepared to provide a cover letter, resume, and two letters of reference to the interview committee.