Westhill High School: 0.5 FTE Bilingual Social Studies Teacher
- Job Type
High School Teaching/ Bilingual
2019-2020 School Year
The filling of this position is based upon continued funding in the Board of Education budget.
Note: Teachers dually certified in TESOL, Bilingual Education or ESL, with experience in Sheltered Instruction or fluency in a language other than English, will be given preference for all Stamford Public School positions.
Note: Because this position is for a bilingual classroom, the teacher must already possess bilingual certification from the State of CT. If not bilingual certified, Social Studies-certified candidates that are fluent in Spanish may apply for a Durational Shortage Area Permit for this subject, and will have two years to complete the requirements for bilingual certification.
Job Description – Social Studies Teacher
A competent Social Studies Teacher understands growth and development, demonstrates knowledge of what is to be taught and facility in the basic skills and helps students to develop positive self-concepts. The Social Studies Teacher stimulates the independence of each student as a learner, effectively assesses student needs and progress, and plans instruction to achieve selected objectives, including those appropriate for exceptional students. The Social Studies Teacher accomplishes these objectives through effective communication with students, parents and colleagues, and through the use of appropriate techniques and materials in a positive climate where time, space and equipment are effectively organized for instruction. In addition, the Social Studies Teacher meets professional responsibility for continuing growth and fosters cooperative involvement with parents and the community.
- Demonstrates facility in the skills of reading, writing and mathematics.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the subject to be taught.
- Demonstrates knowledge of human growth and development as it relates to the teaching-learning process.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the American public school system.
- Plans instruction to achieve selected objectives.
- Effectively implements instructional plans and uses appropriate instructional techniques.
- Effectively communicates with students.
- Helps students develop positive self-concepts.
- Facilitates the independence of the student as learner.
- Effectively organizes time, space, materials and equipment for instruction.
- Effectively assesses student needs and progress.
- Effectively meets the needs of exceptional students.
- Establishes a positive learning environment.
- Meets professional responsibilities.
- Encourages and maintains the cooperative involvement and support of parents and the community.
- A valid Connecticut teacher certificate in 026-History & Social Studies, 7-12 or 226-History & Social Studies, Middle School, 4–8.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching the subject area(s) and/or instructional levels targeted.
- Evidence of ability to work cooperatively with administrators, teachers and educational assistants.
- Evidence of organizational ability and willingness to pursue tasks to successful completion.
- Superior communication skills (oral and written).
Stamford Education Association (SEA)
Per SEA Contract
Online application is required.
Internal Applicants: Please paste a cover letter (summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position) and resume in the comments section of the Internal Application. In addition, be prepared to provide a cover letter, resume, and two letters of reference to the interview committee.