- Job Type
JCFS Chicago is looking to hire a teacher who can provide a quality, comprehensive education to children with emotional and behavior disorders, which may include aggressive behaviors, in a therapeutic special education classroom. Working collaboratively with staff and classroom team, this role will develop full understanding of student needs and strengths, differentiate instruction using curriculum-based assessment data, and create and implement classroom behavior management system and strategies.
Classroom and Students
- Establish positive learning expectations and standards for all students by planning, delivering, and assessing lessons that align to common core standards and follow grade level pacing guides
- Organize, analyze and interpret various forms of student and instructional data in order to identify areas of strength and areas of need in student instruction
- Analyze and understand student performance data to develop and plan next instructional steps and implement programming in accordance with Individual Education Plan (IEP) goals
- Attend routine daily and weekly staff meetings
- Utilize multiple forms of technology (i.e., Chromebooks, tablets) and digital resources for purposeful integration of technology into academic planning, learning, and student progress reporting.
- Develop and provide individualized, small group and differentiated instruction utilizing evidence-based reading strategies and adapted curriculum to support student growth
- Evaluate students’ progress on a regular basis using school wide assessment tool while maintaining current and accurate records of individual student achievements and areas that require growth.
- Develop and implement quality IEPs and attend annual meeting for each student
- Provide structured classroom management skills that include consideration of the characteristics and methodology of the student population
- Prepare and maintain an academically and behaviorally effective and safe classroom environment utilizing appropriate, organized behavior management system
- Perform and participate in educational diagnostic studies in collaboration with others as needed to determine strengths and lagging skills to develop and implement appropriate behavior supports and strategies
- Maintain records and write reports on relevant activities in timely manner
- Maintain ongoing communication with social worker and JCFS staff to achieve social and educational benefit for each student
- Successfully complete training in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI); successfully complete all requirements to maintain certification in TCI
- Effectively intervene in students’ disruptive behavior, both verbal and physical; including using TCI prescribed methods to de-escalate critical situations.
- Must be able to be aware of the whereabouts of the students at all times and be able to physically intervene to limit dangerous behavior as necessary.
- Use TCI prescribed methods to manually restrain students who are a variety of heights, weights, and strength capacities should they become physically out of control and consequently a danger to him/herself or others. This task may involve taking the student from a standing position to the floor, deflecting and or absorbing blows, bumps, kicks, spitting and other physically aggressive acts, moving furniture or other large, heavy objects in order to clear a space in which the student can be safely restrained.
- Has shown ability to establish and maintain effective, positive relationships with students, colleagues, parents/ guardians, and administration
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills to provide clear instructions or information, write quality IEPs, and communicate with parents and staff
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all governing bodies’ requirements and school policies.
- Skilled multi-tasker and excellent time manager
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced environment effectively to educate classroom of students
- Able to work cooperatively with classroom team
- Independently able to exercise sound professional judgment and establish / maintain professional boundaries
- Strength in remaining calm and flexible in high-stress situations while maintaining an understanding and supportive demeanor
- Self-directed with strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Professional Educator License
- Must be certified by Illinois State Board of Education as a Special Education Teacher
- Experience with FastBridge assessment system or similar assessment tool
- Fluent with multiple forms of technology (i.e., Chromebooks, tablets) and digital resources for purposeful integration of technology into academic planning, learning, and student progress reporting. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs and Google Suite
- Able to successfully complete the physical and testing requirements Therapeutic Crisis Intervention training (Agency provided).
JCFS offers an array of benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Wellness, Paid sick and vacation time, Agency holidays, Pension, 403(b), Flexible Spending Plans, and Life Insurance.
Please visit us at http://www.jcfs.org
Jewish Child and Family Services (JCFS) is committed to serving the needs of the diverse Chicago metropolitan area. Accredited by COA, Charter member of CWLA, Licensed by DCFS
JCFS is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran. JCFS provides a reasonable accommodation to those who need assistance in completing this application