Deaf Education Interpreter (Student Services)
Support Staff/ Deaf Education Interpreter
Open Until Filled
Location: Student Services (Student Services)
Full Time Position (1.0 FTE)
Provides interpreting and other support services to hearing-impaired students. Facilitates communication among hearing-impaired students and their hearing peers, the classroom teacher, and other personnel in the school system. Provides interpreting and note taking.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Alaska Driver's License.
- Certification by Registration of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID).
- A score of 4.0 or better on the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment , a passing score on the Educational Interpreters Knowledge Assessment, or must have completed or be enrolled in an approved program for the deaf and hard of hearing.
- One year interpreting experience.
- Principles and practices of deaf education.
- American Sign Language, Pidgin Sign English, Signing Exact English, Deaf Culture.
- Assistive devices for the hearing impaired such as TTY.
- Principles of K-12 education.
- Instruct the hearing impaired in sign language.
- Train the hearing impaired in the use of assistive devices.
- Provide tutoring in content areas.
- Completion of interpreter preparation program
Compensation: This is a full time 9-month position, working 37.5 hours per week, with a starting salary of $23.65 per hour. We offer an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) plan, and paid time off.
Selected hire will be fingerprinted at applicant's expense and fingerprints forwarded to the Alaska State Troopers and the FBI for a records check.