High School Math Teacher - SY 2019-2020
- Job Type
HIGH SCHOOL MATH TEACHER – SY 2019-2020
Teachers will plan and deliver meaningful learning experiences, create opportunities for maximum educational and social development, and work with all members of the school community to create a nurturing and structured environment for each student enrolled at New Heights Academy Charter School.
High School Principal
High School Teachers, Teaching Assistants, Department Chairs, and Student Support Services Team
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT
1. Content Knowledge and Planning
- Exhibit an understanding of and skills relevant to the subject area(s) taught
- Demonstrate an ability to make topics and activities meaningful and relevant to each student
- Integrate available technology resources compatible with students’ needs and abilities
- Develop lesson plans that are clear, logical, and sequential using Understanding by Design principles
- Plan with appropriate specialist(s) to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all students
2. Instructional Strategies
- Link present content/skills with past and future learning experiences
- Effectively use various instructional strategies (e.g., modeling, cooperative learning, collaboration, and reading and writing in the content areas) to differentiate learning for all students
- Effectively use questioning strategies to engage students and promote learning
- Monitor students’ understanding of the lesson and adjusts teaching when appropriate
- Maximize student learning by providing opportunities for all learners to participate actively and successfully
- Explain content and demonstrates skills in a variety of ways to meet the needs of all students
- Hold each learner individually responsible for learning
- Use results of a variety of assessments to monitor and modify instruction as needed
- Effectively use both teacher-made and standardized tests, as appropriate, to measure student performance
- Use oral, non-verbal, and written forms of student assessment
- Organize, maintain, and use records of student progress to make effective instructional decisions
- Continuously monitor students’ progress before, during, and after instruction, and provides meaningful feedback
- Demonstrate competence in the use of acceptable grading/ranking/scoring practices in recording and reporting student achievement
4. Student Communication and Rapport
- Use precise language and acceptable oral expression and written communication
- Articulate clear learning goals and instructional procedures for the lesson to the students
- Model caring, fairness, courtesy, respect and active listening
- Model concern for students’ emotional and physical well being
- Seek and maintains positive interactions with students in all school settings
- Seek information about student interests and opinions
5. Classroom Management
- Enforce the school’s student behavior policy
- Communicate clear expectations about behavior to students and parents
- Actively monitor student behavior and provides feedback in a constructive manner to students and parents
- Create a physical setting and establishes routines that promote learning and minimize disruption
- Structure transitions in an efficient and constructive manner
- Manage emergency situations, as they occur, in school settings
6. Professional Demeanor and Development
- Maintain a professional appearance and deportment.
- Interact with colleagues and students in an ethical and professional manner.
- Carry out duties in accordance with established policies, practices, and regulations.
- Select appropriate channels for resolving concerns and problems, and maintains confidentiality.
- Complete all classroom and school assignments and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner.
7. School Community and Culture
- Initiate communication with parents or guardians concerning student progress or problems in a timely manner.
- Respond promptly to parental concerns and encourages parental involvement within the school.
- Interact with parents and the community by providing useful information regarding the school.
- Work cooperatively with community members in carrying our school and community sponsored functions.
- Contribute to the development of the profession by serving as a teacher, mentor, peer coach, and/or supervisor to practicing teachers, student teachers, or interns.
- Support school goals and initiatives.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Plan, organize, develop and conduct a comprehensive teaching and instruction program
- Provide appropriate and effective learning experiences for pupils from a wide range achievement levels
- Perform research and development activities pertaining to curriculum and instructional programs
- Follow safety procedures and written and verbal instructions
- Maintain a positive mindset
- Focus on converging core content and student need to increase knowledge
- Develop supportive and caring relationships with students, parents, and colleagues
- Communicate professionally
- Be responsible to self, team, and school
- Assume team membership and individual leadership
- Adhere to deadlines
- A valid NYS teaching certificate
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- At least 2 years prior teaching experience;
- Demonstrated success working in non-traditional and/or urban school settings
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with educational technology (SMART Board, student laptops, etc.)
- Willingness to learn and grow professionally
New Heights Academy Charter School is an equal opportunity employer.