Teaching Matters mission is to close the opportunity gap of a radically unequal education system for underserved and historically marginalized children. From states and districts to schools and classrooms, we partner to help teachers and school leaders develop the skills they need to teach well, lead their peers and drive school-wide improvement.
We currently seek exceptional educational consultants to support transformative instructional improvements in New York City public schools. This career opportunity offers the right candidates the chance to have a major impact on urban K-12 teachers and students.
Work will primarily be school-based and require intensive interaction with school leaders, teacher leaders, teachers, and students. Travel throughout Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens required.
The primary role of the Educational Consultant will be to support teachers and administrators in NYC public schools in the following key areas:
- Support teachers and school leaders in implementing culturally responsive instructional practices in the classroom and deepening content knowledge and pedagogy of teachers.
- Conduct a needs analysis of schools, analyzing data, conducting instructional walks with administration, observing instruction, and reviewing curricula and materials to ensure that a diverse representation of multiple perspectives is evident.
- Develop an action plan for coaching aligned with a measurable goal for the work.
- Execute a coaching action plan, refining and revising when needed to meet the needs of the school.
- Build teachers’ capacity to effectively implement Common Core aligned curriculum and analyze data effectively to drive instruction.
- Differentiate teacher support based on individual needs and address needed teacher mindset shifts.
- Facilitate teacher teams reflecting on practice, analyzing data that leads to deep analysis and identification of inequitable practices in schools, and looking at student work toward the goal of improving student outcomes.
- Develop leadership skills of teacher leaders.
- Guide school leaders in making critical changes to systems, structures, and communication in their school, leading to an environment where professional collaboration is embraced and student success is the focus.
- Identify equitable and scaffolded pedagogical practices that allow for a variety of student voices in classroom practices and curricular materials.
- Recommend refinements to Teaching Matters’ programs in response to needs identified in schools.
- Possess the soft skills necessary for addressing mindsets relating to student achievement and opportunity.
- Minimum of 4 years experience as an instructional coach/school leader AND minimum of 4 years of teaching or equivalent experience in either elementary, middle, or high school grades.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in achieving ambitious, measurable student results.
- Experience facilitating teacher teams / groups to achieve student outcomes.
- Dynamic presenter, comfortable engaging large groups of educators in professional workshops and work-sessions.
- Proven success in advocating for change in high-needs schools.
- Demonstrated knowledge of classroom management strategies that are equitable and inclusive.
- Experience in urban schools.
- Technology skills with current computer software, including word processing and online collaboration tools.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, well organized.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills to motivate and lead others at all levels within a school.
- Demonstrates deep commitment to Teaching Matters’ mission, vision, and core values.
- Bachelor and Master’s Degrees required.
Perks of the Job:
- Monthly Professional Growth Days - an opportunity to collaborate with your intelligent, like-minded colleagues
- Flexible scheduling - work as much, or as a little as your schedule allows - you set your schedule
- 403b options
- Ability to accrue sick days
- Biannual social gatherings with the team
10-month and Per Diem positions are currently available.
Teaching Matters is unable to hire any employees of the New York City Department of Education within one year of the end of their employment.
Teaching Matters is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Looking for consultants with a specialization in:
- Early Literacy (grades K-2)
Please apply for the position on our website that best fits your expertise: http://teachingmatters.org/openpositions