- Job Type
Position is responsible for creating a classroom environment favorable to learning and personal growth of every student; establishing effective rapport with students; motivating students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for becoming a responsible citizen in accordance with each pupil’s ability; and to establish good relationships with parents and with other staff members.
- Instructs students in a program of study which meets stated objectives and prepared students to master grade level standards.
- Instructs students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of Newport News Public Schools.
- Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the division’s basic instructional philosophy and congruent with course / SOL standards; provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student and subgroups of students.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction and to actively engage students.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom by providing positive reinforcement of acceptable behaviors and modifying unacceptable behaviors.
- Evaluates academic and social growth of students, prepares report cards, and keeps appropriate records to include attendance reports, checklists, census forms, and other recordkeeping activities as necessary.
- Communicates regularly with parents or guardians through conferences and other means to discuss student progress.
- Supervises and monitors student movement and escorts students to resources, bathrooms, buses, cafeteria, room changes and other activities in the building.
- Administers standardized testing in accordance with division testing practices.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Maintains professional competence by attending staff development programs, curriculum development meetings and other professional activities.
- Participates in various student and parent activities which occur in school including PTA, student clubs and after-school activities.
- Creates an effective learning environment through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and activity/learning centers.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator.
For a complete job description please visit http://sbo.nn.k12.va.us/hr/jobs/descriptions/ES_Tchr.pdf