Part-time ELL Teacher for 2019/2020 School Year
- Job Type
Certified-Middle and High School/ ELL Teacher, Middle School
Orange Grove Middle School
Open until Filled
Part-time/.5 FTE position (20 hours per week)
Must have an Arizona Secondary teacher certificate OR an Arizona Elementary (K-8) teacher certificate with an Arizona Structured English Immersion (SEI) endorsement OR Bilingual Endorsement OR English as a Second Language (ESL) Endorsement
- Prefer at least 3 years of classroom teaching experience
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, preferred
- Thorough knowledge of ELL and Title III laws and regulations
- Computer Proficiency: Microsoft Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint & Word, and specialized ELL software
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and respectfully with staff, parents, and students from diverse backgrounds
Position to serve both Orange Grove Middle School and Esperero Canyon Middle School ; candidate must be willing to travel between sites and spend equal time at both locations.
Under general supervision of the Director of Special Services, develops and implements Individual Language Learner Plans (ILLPs), and delivers instruction in the District's English Language Learner (ELL) programs.
Effectively manages the learning environment to prepare lesson plans, instruct students, evaluate, and monitor students' performance in order to advance student achievement in the district program for Bilingual and English Language Learners (ELLs). Collaborates with district staff and outside personnel to modify the instructional program to meet the needs of each child and provide educational opportunities for Bilingual, ELLs, and migrant students. This includes ensuring that ELL students are supported appropriately in their academic and language development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a complete listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this job class.)
- Collaborates with the ELL Coordinator to maintain, evaluate, and improve the district ELL plan and program
- Evaluates written materials to include written assignments and tests
- Evaluates the performance of students regarding achievements in curriculum and activities, and makes necessary provisions to meet learning needs
- Analyzes and evaluates student progress and course curriculum
- Participates in ELL team meetings
- Participates as a member of an instructional team to promote learning activities for students consistent with district and school objectives
- Implements co-teaching, pull-out, and push-in support services for ELL students, as appropriate
- Supports general education teachers who service ELL students, providing professional development and support, as needed.
- Assists school administrators, teachers, and other staff in implementing ILLPs
- Maintains records of all ELL students and their status using the appropriate district electronic programs
- Tests ELL students for language proficiency in accordance with Arizona State requirements
- Coordinates ELL testing accommodations for all annual and quarterly assessments
- Communicates with the parents of ELL students to ensure they are informed of methods of evaluation utilized in the classroom, student success, school activities, and instructional methods that may assist a student
- Assists with translation and interpretation
- Oversees ELL educational assistant(s) assigned to their site
- Performs other related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Federal and State guidelines regarding ELL programs
- Knowledge of developmental levels of school age children
- Knowledge of District and Department policies and procedures
- Knowledge of ELL instructional and assessment methods and practices
- Knowledge of classroom management methods
- Knowledge of proper English grammar, usage, and spelling
- Skills in delivering ELL curriculum
- Skill in maintaining mandated records
- Skill in training ELL educational assistants
- Skill in communicating effectively, orally, and in writing
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with staff, administrators, students, and parents
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work involves the performance of duties where physical exertion is often required to perform functions of the position. Work may involve standing or sitting for extended time periods, bending, reaching and grasping. Occasional lifting and carrying weights up to 50 pounds may be required. Vision and hearing must be acceptable to perform job functions. Verbal communicative ability required in public contact positions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT :
Works indoors - classroom environment. Outdoors - playground, exposure to all weather conditions and temperatures. Exposure to noise, dust, and fumes. Extensive contact with students, parents, and teachers.
Disclaimer: The duties and responsibilities identified in this position description are illustrative only and are in no way intended to be a complete list of activities that may be required of an incumbent.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.