Head of High Schools
- Job Type
This position manages, directs, and coordinates the academic administration of instructional and support staff at both Watanabe High School at Christel House Academy South (just under 200 students) and DORS (an adult, drop-out recovery high school serving approximately over 650 students across three school sites). Working with the high school principals and other administrative staff, this position will refine practices as well as develop new programming at the high school level to improve student achievement, recruitment, retention, and the transition of graduating students to college and/or further educational opportunities.
- Master’s degree in education.
- Indiana Administrators License, or eligibility.
- 5+ years’ teaching experience.
- Experience in successful leadership and supervision of school(s) serving high needs populations.
- Documented success in teaching and achieving outstanding results.
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively; maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- A passion for the mission and goals of Christel House.
- Lead the development, implementation and evaluation of a data-driven plans for increasing student achievement to ensure that the high schools are meeting established goals.
- Manage and supervise the high school principals, providing mentoring and engaging in problem solving with the schools’ leadership teams.
- Collaborate with the principals, Head of Academics, and the Head of Staff Development, providing strategic direction and ensuring quality and rigor in curricular choices, instructional practice, and professional development across the high schools.
- Provide targeted professional development and coaching to secondary teachers in identified areas of need.
- Monitor student performance towards academic goals as well as other school quality and process data throughout the year, in collaboration with the principals.
- Recommend and implement changes which will lead to improved administration, supervision and opportunity for student development.
Climate & Culture
- Ensure the schools’ climate are supportive of teaching and learning, welcoming to parents and community members, and inspires success in all endeavors.
- Coordinate and supervise community-based support programs at the secondary level.
- Actively participate and encourage staff participation in parent-teacher and other community groups to develop understanding, cooperation, and respect for school objectives and endeavors.
- Engage stakeholders in the essential conversations for ongoing improvement.
- Facilitate collaborative processes with stakeholders leading toward continuous improvement.
- Lead the external and internal planning for a combined Christel House Academy high school (pulling from both South and West campuses), with an opening date of fall 2021.
- Lead the strategic planning for the continued growth of DORS with possible program expansion.
- Collaborate with the Talent Recruitment Specialist and the Indy Teach program to provide direction around the recruitment and retention of high-quality educators at the high schools.
- Oversee the hiring of staff at the high schools and provide final approval based upon the recommendations from principals and hiring managers; provided, however, that the Head of Schools will have final say on salaries in order to ensure the proper allocation of resources among all the schools in the network.
- Collaborate with the Chief School Business Officer and staff and principals in developing annual and long-term budgets.
- Maintain compliance with state, federal, and local laws.
- Collaborate with the Senior Leadership Team to set the tone for the greater school and fostering a “whatever it takes” approach in a dignified and respectful manner.
- Participate in Network and Board meetings.
- Demonstrate skill in working with students from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds.
- Model effective, differentiated instruction aligned with Indiana State Standards.
- Encourage ongoing professional growth.
- Provide encouragement and emotional support to administrative and instructional staff.
- Participate in appropriate professional activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
A complete application will include the following:
- Letter of interest stating why the candidate feels his/her qualifications are a good match to those sought by CHS
- Current resume (please include email address)
- At least three (3) professional references (References should include candidates supervisor in his/her current position and most recent prior position)