1st Grade Long-Term Substitute Teacher
- Job Type
Founded in 1881 by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, the Academy of the Holy Names is a Catholic coeducational elementary school and a college preparatory high school for young women. The Academy of the Holy Names empowers students to be authentic individuals who engage in independent thought, are inspired by creativity, and lead culturally aware, spiritually rich lives.
Employment Opportunity: The Academy of the Holy Names seeks a Long-Term Substitute for a 1st Grade self-contained classroom who is talented and energetic to instruct our elementary school students for the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year. (This position begins in August and ends in December.) Teachers at AHN provide the appropriate learning atmosphere and activities designed to maximize student competencies and skills for intellectual, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual growth toward a successful and meaningful future. Teachers enjoy decision making responsibilities within their essential job functions, in keeping with school policies.
Qualifications: Bachelors or Masters Degree in Education or related field. Education background and teaching experience preferred. Florida Certificate or credentials to obtain certificate. Responsive Classroom certificate (or ability to complete 4-day course over summer)
- Maintaining a classroom environment based on respect and that reflects the values and mission of the Sisters of the Holy Names.
- Establishing a culture of learning and an environment of positive social interaction that actively engages students in learning and self motivation.
- Establishing and maintaining classroom expectations that challenges students to strive for excellence in all that they do.
- Planning and developing effective lesson plans that cover the curriculum and address students’ interests and needs.
- Integrating technology into the curriculum.
- Coordinating field trips or arranging for speakers to come into the classroom.
- Accurately assessing student learning through formative and summative assessment and effectively adapting instruction based on these assessments.
- Keeping accurate records, ensuring that students are progressing and monitoring progress through progress reports and report cards.
- Performing supervision duties as assigned.
- Meeting with students and parents to discuss any concerns or issues with student progress and learning.
- Participating on school based committees and working with other teachers in the grade level and other departments in the school.
- Maintain professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the school and/or in self-selected professional growth activities.
The Academy of the Holy Names does not discriminate on the basis of race, faith (except for ministerial/leadership positions), nationality or ethnic origin in its hiring process nor in the administration of educational policies, admission policies or tuition-assistance programs, athletics or other school-administered programs. The school admits students of any race, faith, nationality or ethnic origin, and gives to all students rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to all members of the student body. In accordance with its mission, the school seeks a population composed of many different voices, viewpoints and backgrounds. The Academy of the Holy Names is a designated drug-free workplace. Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a drug screening and criminal background check.