Principal, Elementary School
- Job Type
Excellent schools don’t just happen; they require the right kind of leadership, both in the classroom and in the front office.
Synergy Academies is a nonprofit charter school management organization with a mission to eliminate the achievement gap. Synergy’s elementary, middle, and high schools are STEM-focused and serve 1,350 K-12 students in South Los Angeles. Synergy believes in holistic education, collective accountability, and sharing best practices through professional collaboration. At Synergy, we give each individual the opportunity to learn and grow, we work as a team to support each other, we are transparent and honest, we have a strong work ethic, take initiative, are good stewards of our resources, and we focus on continual improvement.
Synergy Charter Academy seeks a highly effective principal with a track record of success, including evidence of improving measurable student outcomes and narrowing achievement gaps. The ideal candidate possesses an exemplary managerial, instructional and operational skill-set. The leader must be committed to the belief that all students have the potential to achieve at high levels. The ideal candidate is someone who is a team player who will do what it takes to ensure all learners receive a high-quality education.
Ensure all students are continually learning through classroom observation and analysis of data.
- Ensure that curriculum and instruction aligns to school’s Charter Petition, vision and mission.
- Conduct regular observations and classrooms walkthroughs in order to provide feedback and improve instructional quality for all programs including special education, EL instruction, intervention, and GATE programs.
- Support teachers and staff by identifying their individual needs, assigning coaches, supporting the work of PLCs, designing appropriate professional development, and providing other relevant supports.
- Make data-driven decisions using multiple data points to improve student achievement and inform instructional practices.
Create a culture of high expectations that motivates and inspires students, parents and staff to believe in each person’s ability to achieve.
- Implement and maintain a strong positive school culture among students, staff, and families that includes high expectations of college preparation for all students and implementation of the Synergy scholar lessons.
- Oversee school’s Social Emotional program including coordinating the Social Work and Counseling interns.
- Responsible for student discipline, including holding students accountable to Synergy’s Discipline Foundation Policy, helping staff follow through with behavior management plans, and implementing appropriate and restorative consequences for infractions and offenses.
Serve as the schools Administrator for Special Education and work with Lead Resource Teacher and Director of Special Education and Student and Family Services to ensure compliance with all applicable laws.
- Attend all IEP meetings.
- Regularly communicate with the school’s Lead Resource Specialist Program (RSP) Teacher to ensure compliance with special education policies, procedures, and timelines.
- Lead Student Success Team meetings in the development and implementation of timely interventions and facilitate parent participation.
- Participate in 504 meetings and carry out the day-to-day 504 plans.
Ensure that all members of the school community are engaged.
- Proactively communicate with faculty and staff; get to know individuals and understand needs.
- Hold parent meetings including Orientations, Title 1, DELAC, School Operations, and Coffee with the Principal in order to engage parents in their child’s education.
- Prioritize time and attention to enforce attendance policies and efforts aimed at reducing or eliminating truancy, including holding SART meetings when necessary.
- Be a constant presence and active communicator with parents and students at meetings, conferences, student activities and celebrations.
- Demonstrate leadership by setting a professional and respectful tone when working with students, staff, parents/family members, and community members via both written and oral communication.
Data and Assessments
Coordinate logistics with regard to implementation of assessments.
- Oversee the schools applicable testing programs including the administration of required state assessments and NWEA’s MAP Assessment.
- Create appropriate reports based on assessment data to share with individual stakeholder groups.
Ensure smooth school operations and school compliance with local, state and federal programs.
- Supervise and evaluate school site staff and oversee the school’s Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment (BTSA) program.
- Coordinate and maintain the school’s calendar of events (Parent Teacher Conferences, testing windows, etc.).
- Regularly meet with LAUSD Principal to coordinate school operations and campus safety and security.
- Regularly meet with After School All-Stars program director for program updates.
- Coordinate with contracts with outside vendors for office equipment.
- Purchase curriculum and other educational supplies.
Assist with other duties as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from a competitive, accredited college or university.
- Minimum of three years teaching experience and two years of school leadership experience.
- Proven track record of leading, managing, and coaching other educators to increase student achievement preferably in a charter and/or urban school setting.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse student populations and leading differentiated instruction to support different levels of learners.
- Deep instructional expertise, including knowledge of Common Core -aligned instruction.
- Belief in and alignment with Synergy’s mission of closing the achievement gap and college and career readiness.
- Must possess a growth mindset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and cultivate relationships.
- Willing to do “whatever it takes” to help students, staff, and parents succeed.
- Proficient in the use of computers, including but not limited to word processing, spreadsheets, multimedia presentations, e-mail, the Internet, and digital media.
- Fluent in Spanish preferred but not required.
- Able to lift heavy objects up to 30 lbs.
Synergy Academies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, color, age, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other status protected by law
Apply for Principal, Elementary School
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly