Nutrition Education Coordinator
Food & Nutrition Services/Nutrition Education Coordinator
Food and Nutrition Services
Open until filled
Supervisor: Ms. Edwina Forrest, Director of Food and Nutrition Services Employment Period: 11 months (220 days) Employment Status: Full-time Pay Grade: G-117 Hiring Range: $44,109 -- $58,926 Start Date: Immediately
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises and participates in the preparation, cooking and service of food for students and staff at assigned sites; assures that standardized recipes and approved price schedules and portion controls are followed; assures menu components meet the requirements for reimbursable meals as specified by U.S. Department of Agriculture and the State.
- Monitors work and staff to assure compliance with established Health Department rules, regulations and requirements.
- Assists in planning nutritionally sound menus that comply with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Ensures all menu items served are consistent with nutrition objectives and contributes to the development of healthy eating habits.
- Proofreads and provides the necessary information to prepare the menus for print.
- Collects nutrient information and provides nutrient analysis for menu items.
- Conducts nutrition education training for school nutrition staff, students, parents, teachers and administrators.
- Promotes healthy eating habits and provides guidelines for selecting healthful meals and snacks through nutrition education and appropriate marketing in the school cafeteria.
- Promotes activities to increase wellness and nutrition awareness among students, administrators, teachers, and other school district staff.
- Forms partnerships with parents, students, and the education community to support an integrated approach to nutrition education.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of nutrition education programs initiated by the school nutrition program.
- Conducts new employee orientation as needed.
- Facilitates the Manager in Training course and teaches portions of the class.
- Assists with on-the-job training for dietetic students, interns, and others in the culinary arts program.
- Collects information and pictures for social media.
- Coordinates the use of multiple approaches for informing stakeholders of menus, nutrition information, and other services available (e.g., web site, newsletters, and printed menus).
- Responsible for monthly reports identifying school costs, staffing efficiency and food production.
- Responsible for assigned yearly federal reviews, input to manager performance appraisals, ongoing supervisors' visitation reports, meals per labor hour and a variety of other reports needed throughout the year.
- Supervises/monitors/conduct audits and inspections at assigned school sites for compliance in all areas of food production and program requirements; i.e. storage, distribution methods, staff utilization, sanitation, and safety practices, HACCP, cash controls and nutrition standards compliance, etc.
- Provides leadership and works with managers at assigned sites to develop and retain highly competent, service-oriented staff through selection, training and day-to-day management practices that support District and department objectives and service expectations in programs and activities that promote a positive employee relations environment; provides assistance and direction to managers on scheduling employees, training, evaluating staff and resolving personnel and staffing issues and conflicts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Three years successful experience in food service management and/or institutional food service management, and in developing training programs.
- Three years experience as a food service supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in nutrition with emphasis in food service management and dietetics.
- Registered Dietitian preferred or in process.
- Valid Driver's License.
You may apply anytime before midnight on the closing date. Please upload the following documents:
- Resume (required to be uploaded)
- Feedback from 2 references required at time of hire.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Hampton City Schools does not discriminate in employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability or other protected class. Personnel decisions are based on merit and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Executive Director of Human Resources, One Franklin Street, Hampton, VA 23669; (757) 727-2300
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request.