Chief Academic Officer
- Job Type
Chief Academic Officer
The School District of Palm Beach County
The Palm Beach County School District is the 10th largest district in the country with a student enrollment of more than 179,000 students. The annual budget exceeds $3 billion and the District is the largest employer in Palm Beach County with over 22,000 employees.
PURPOSE: The Chief Academic Officer assists and supports the Deputy Superintendent in strategic planning, implementation, and monitoring of results of academic initiatives. Position sets District vision and goals that ensure rigorous and standards-aligned instruction and supports in every classroom for every student.
1. Master’s degree in education or related field with certification in educational leadership / administration (doctorate preferred).
2. Successful experience as a Principal, preferably serving at two or more school center levels.
3. Demonstrated skill in K-12 curriculum design.
4. Successful experience in the selection, supervision and evaluation of school-based administrators, for the effective and efficient operation of all elementary, middle, high, and alternative schools preferred.
5. Ability to collaborate with appropriate District, area and school-based administrators in developing quality instructional programs for the successful teaching and learning of all students.
6. Demonstrated experience in the determination of the types of academic programs needed by schools and in making appropriate recommendations to assure success for all students.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of public school laws and policies as they relate to the delivery of instructional services.
8. Evidence of strong conceptual, analytical, organizational, and management skills as well as demonstrated leadership ability.
9. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups, and effectively communicate, both orally and in writing.
10. Knowledge of current computing technologies and software applications appropriate to the position’s job responsibilities.
1. Collaborates with divisions and departments in District-wide comprehensive planning and policy deployment.
2. Advises appropriate personnel on academic matters. Develops recommendations for long-range educational direction.
3. Provides assistance to the Deputy Superintendent in strategic planning, implementation, and monitoring of results of academic initiatives.
4. Develops and implements a compelling vision for the District’s instructional and curriculum services, and sets a compelling vision and goals that ensure rigorous and standards-aligned instruction and instructional supports in every classroom for every student.
5. Coordinates on-going diagnosis and assessment of academic achievement by managing the collection, analysis, and reporting of data.
6. Cultivates a commitment among all District staff to enable all students to achieve high standards.
7. Facilitates and coordinates collaboration and partnerships with community agencies, stakeholder organizations, and educational institutions for mutual goal achievement.
8. Directs, oversees, and evaluates each manager’s performance in terms of his/her productivity in achieving departmental and District priorities and expected goals.
9. Ensures the Deputy Superintendent remains informed on current critical issues within the division, as well as incidents for which s/he and the School Board should be aware.
10. Guides the development of curriculum and instruction for the District.
11. Assists and supports the implementation of the goals, core strategies, and priority action steps of the District.
12. Establishes direction for school improvement efforts by monitoring the progress of school performance, student achievement objectives, and academic excellence indicators to align strategies for school improvement.
13. Oversees the allocation of materials and staff resources for areas of responsibility; assures their use for the purposes intended, and enforces appropriate accountability for all disbursements and expenditures.
14. Oversees the development, planning and implementation of educational alternative programs.
15. Responsible for maintaining timely and accurate information, and accountable for the quality of data and information maintained by staff under supervision.
16. Builds working relationships with community leaders and organizations.
17. Models collaborative planning and shared decision-making.
18. Responsible for self-development and maintaining current knowledge of evolving research, relevant trends, and best practices relevant to the areas of responsibility.
19. Assesses the distribution of academic supports with a clear equity lens, irrespective of ethnicity, race, or minority status, thereby ensuring allocations provide the best resources to equitably and effectively meet the needs of all students, families, and schools.
20. Continuously monitors progress and demonstrates persistence in overcoming obstacles to achieve District goals.
Performance Effectiveness Criteria:
In addition to the employee being responsible for each of the performance responsibilities listed herein, annual progress will be assessed with respect to support and achievement of the District Strategic Plan and associated applicable scorecards.
Additional Job Functions:
1. Follows adopted policies and procedures in accordance with School Board priorities.
2. Conducts oneself in the best interest of students, in accordance with the highest traditions of public education and in support of the District’s Mission Statement.
3. Performs other duties as assigned.
Salary: $117,077 - $191,039
Application Deadline: March 8, 2019
Start Date: TBD
Apply online: www.palmbeachschools.org/careers
Job Code: 70670
Job Id: 193351