Professional/Coordinator/ Benefits Coordinator/Specialist
Benefits Coordinator/Specialist located at Central Office. Full-Time, 7.5 Hours a day/35 hours a week.
Job Duties : Performs responsible administrative and technical work coordinating and processing the Windham Public School's (WPS) health insurance, pension and related benefits for all employees. Maintains and updates HRIS system data, ensuring accuracy of benefits data and costs. Manages a wide variety of computerized spreadsheets, reports and documents. Assists with health-related labor issues, leave issues, return-to-work requirements and the City's EAP program. Work is performed under the general supervision and direction of the Director of Human Resources.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of and ability to interpret federal and state health insurance regulations, provider rules and regulations and contractual obligations; working knowledge of related WPS policies and established procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of and ability to interpret federal, state and local regulations pertaining to various medical, dental, and life insurance plans, as well as the rules and regulations pertaining to health savings accounts and flexible spending accounts. Working knowledge of leave-related laws.
- Considerable knowledge of the teacher's pension plan and of the Teacher Retirement Board's health insurance contribution plans, plan documents, forms and requirements.
- Working knowledge of municipal and/or Board of Education human resource management principles and practices coupled with a general understanding of labor relations and contractual agreements relative to benefits.
- Considerable skill in the use of a personal computer and industry-related specialized software such as MUNIS as well as the Microsoft Office Suite for word processing and spreadsheets.
- Considerable skill in verbal and written communication, effective listening skills and ability to explain complex information in an understandable manner with tact, respect and courtesy.
- Considerable ability to multi-task, prioritizing and managing routine and complex work, to anticipate and handle details and to use sound judgment and meet project deadlines.
- Considerable ability to create forms and spreadsheets, calculating figures with acute attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to understand and interpret complex rules and regulations and union contracts, coupled with the ability to utilize sound judgment in explaining and administering established policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with other City employees, local officials, industry professionals, superiors, subordinates, various Committee members, retirees and the general public.
- Ability to handle all physical aspects of public office work; ability to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Connecticut as needed.
Minimum Qualifications : Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Business or Public Administration or a closely related field plus three (3) or more years' experience that includes handling multiple health and insurance benefits in a human resources office or a school district, or an equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Bilingual preferred (Spanish/English) Desired start date: ASAP