Executive Director of Special Education
- Job Type
This position is responsible for directing the district’s special education program and coordinating the activities of all special education personnel.
Salary: $90,821 - $120,956 DOE
Work Day: 8 hours per day
Work Year: 12 months
This position offers an excellent benefit package including:
- 24 or 30 days of annual leave (with flexible vacation time) per year accruing up to 60 days with cash out provisions;
- 16 days sick leave per year;
- 12 holidays;
- health, dental, vision, disability;
- up to $5,000 relocation allowance (depending on location)
The following are required:
- State of Alaska Type A Teaching Certificate with a special education endorsement OR a Type C Special Services Certificate in a relevant area AND a State of Alaska Type B Administrative Certificate.
- At least five (5) years of successful special education teaching or special services experience.
- At least three (3) years of successful special education administrative experience or the equivalent.
- Must have substantial experience in developing strategies and general preparation for due process hearings.
- Must have experience in the mediation/resolution process.
- Expert knowledge of state and federal of special education regulations.
- Familiarity in working with budgets.
- Skill in supervising staff of various levels.
- Skill in mediation, negotiation, and conflict resolution.
- High quality written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Computer skills to include knowledge of email programs, online calendars, internet and software applicable to the job.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and organization to special education programs and personnel.
- Global understanding of special education as it relates to all phases of general education.
- Ability to work effectively with many groups of people (parents, staff, administrators, agency personnel).