Upper Elementary Math Teacher (3rd-5th Grade) 19-20
- Grade Level
- Elementary School
3-5 Math Teacher
Lighthouse Community Public Schools
Social justice movements come in all shapes and sizes. Here at Lighthouse Community Public Schools we are engaged in an educational movement that goes beyond our classrooms working to disrupt educational inequities by providing our students and families exceptional educational opportunities every day. Grounded in our core values of community, integrity, agency, love, and social justice rooted in EL Education Model , LCPS is a leader in fostering innovative schools achieving exceptional student outcomes where each child is at the center of their own learning. Our mission is to prepare diverse students for college, a career of their choice, and to be lifelong changemakers.
Founded in 2002, LCPS operates a high-achieving K-12 public charter school, and our K-8 sister site, Lodestar, that opened in Fall 2016; serving nearly 1,300 students in East Oakland. Lighthouse is a beacon for public education and our graduates fulfill the promise of a better, brighter Oakland. 95% of our graduates, almost all of whom are first-generation college students, are accepted into four-year colleges. We were named the Hart Vision Charter School of the Year in 2013, and the #1 high school for closing achievement gaps for low-income Latino students in 2016. If the work we do here at LCPS appeals to your values regarding quality education for all then please join our movement! Learn more at www.lighthousecharter.org
About Lodestar-A New Way of Doing School
Lodestar is an innovative, new school that opened in East Oakland in Fall 2016. Lodestar teachers are excited by the possibility of transforming the traditional model of education to be student-centered and experiential. Our teaching pedagogy is built around:
- Design principles of agency and belonging in community
- Students belonging to an educational community that provides personalized learning
- Project-based learning expeditions using Making/Arts/Design
- Rigorous, differentiated instruction in math and literacy
This model allows our teachers to specialize. This year, we are adding grade 5 to our existing grade levels of K-4 and 6-8. We will continue to add grades until we are K-12. Take a look at our work and watch our lab in action here !
About the 3-5 Math Teacher Role
We are looking for a math teacher who loves math and is excited to cultivate conceptual mathematical understanding, build fluency and accuracy, and provide opportunities for authentic application in our Grade 3-5 mathematicians. You will:
- be the primary math instructor for our 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade students, delivering standards-driven, Common Core-aligned, mathematics curriculum.
- use formative assessment data in order to inform groupings and track student progress.
You will embody the following Core Competencies to be an effective change-agent:
- Be a visionary, innovative and equity-focused urban educator
- Facilitate deeply engaging student-centered learning
- Demonstrate a keen ability to create, collect and analyze authentic data
- Be a strong community builder and team collaborator
- Model and Foster a Growth Mindset with agency, persistence, and flexibility
- Implement Common Core-aligned math curriculum.
- Use assessment data to respond to student needs, including differentiating and proving Tier 2 interventions.
- Collaborate closely with other content-based instructors around curriculum, culture, expectations, and systems in the 3-5 band.
- Serve as a Crew leader to a grade level cohort of students, being the primary trusted adult and family liaison and supporting students in community building, character development, and academic progress monitoring.
- Contribute unique strengths to the development and design of the Lodestar program.
This position reports to Robbie Torney, K-5 Principal.
- B.A. or B.S. required ; Master's Degree preferred
- Appropriate California Credential (either Multiple or Single Subject with experience in K-5).
- 3+ years teaching experience serving K-5 urban students preferred)
- Full clearance of TB test, fingerprints, and any other state or federal requirements
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
200-day work year for 11-month employees with 23 student-free days for professional learning and collaboration with colleagues and families. All instructional staff will report in late July/early August 2019 (exact calendar TBD). The position is 1.0 FTE (Full-Time).
Common Building Hours: All teachers are expected to maintain hours of 8:00 - 4:00 pm and 8:00-5:00 one day a week for Professional Development. The exact schedule is to be determined in conjunction with supervisor.
OUR COMPENSATION PACKAGE:
At Lighthouse Community Public Schools we take good care of our employees. We provide a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a competitive salary and generous health and retirement benefits (100% employee health coverage/50% for dependents; 8% employer matching for retirement program; medical and dependent FSA).
People of color and/or bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit:
- Cover letter describing your interest in this exciting position and why you are an optimal fit, including how your teaching philosophy, approach to student learning, and educational expertise would contribute to the Lodestar founding team.
- 3 references with Name, Email, Phone Number and Title/nature of working relationship
Application submission screening and initial phone interviews will be completed on a rolling basis. In-person interviews and performance tasks will take place on-site.
Lighthouse Community Charter School is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.