Chief Human Resources Officer
- Job Type
The Chief Human Resources Officer leads all aspects of the human resources function required to support a workforce of over 2550 personnel. Major areas of responsibility include recruitment and selection, employee benefits administration, licensure, leadership and career development, compensation and classification, performance management and evaluation, employee relations, equity and competence. The Chief Human Resources Officer serves as a member of the Superintendent's Leadership Team advising division leadership on current and future human resources issues.
This job reports to the Division Superintendent.
- Education: Doctorate degree in a job related area.
- Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education license required, or the ability to obtain one.
- Experience: At least ten years of job related experience in relevant field with human resource management and effective operations experience. Experience in K-12 education preferred.
- Directs and oversees the recruitment, hiring, onboarding, compensation, benefits, performance evaluation, and employee relations functions of the Department of Human Resources.
- Works with Human Resources staff to implement an effective department plan that emphasizes communication and customer service, and a recruitment plan that focuses on serving staff, students and the ACPS community.
- Ensures that ACPS is in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal policies; regulations; laws; and internal audits as they pertain to the human resources function.
- Ensures that confidentiality is maintained among and by Human Resources staff in its work with those served by the department.
- Works with Human Resources staff to implement innovative business processes and technology solutions that enhance communication, confidentiality and service to ACPS staff, students and community.
- Works with Human Resources staff to implement a comprehensive human resources plan that aligns with the long term human capital needs and conforms to ACPS strategic plan.
- Collaborates with other school division leaders and outside agencies to share information and determine the most effective means of meeting personnel administrative needs and services.
- Ensures that department processes and practices are efficient, accurate, and customer-focused, and reflect best practices in the use of technology and in delivering the desired outcomes for the organization and for employees.
- Plans and directs a program for recruitment to select and assign the best qualified licensed and support staff.
- Plans, develops, and revises personnel management policies for submission to the Board for adoption, and maintaining the personnel policy handbook.
- Attends regular meetings of the Superintendent's staff to actively improve communication, cooperation, and planning.
- Ensures that schools and departments are appropriately staffed and confers with principals to determine staffing needs.
- Oversees maintenance of personnel records of all employees to adhere to division, state, local, and federal regulations.
- Oversees administration of the school division's employee benefit program to adhere to division, state, local, and federal regulations.
- Oversees staffing to include assignments, transfers, dismissals, and promotions with the goal of recruiting and retaining the best qualified licensed, administrator and support staff.
- Supports the Superintendent in administrative efforts to interpret/translate ideas and decisions to staff and public.
- Keeps the Superintendent informed on pertinent human resource developments and events; and seeks counsel or decisions as necessary.
- Assists other personnel and performs other duties as may be required to ensure an efficient and effective work environment.