Chief Academic Officer
- Job Type
Creative Minds International Public Charter School (CMIPCS) is a tuition-free public charter school located in NW Washington, DC, authorized to serve students from preschool through 8th grade. Now in its seventh year of operation,CMIPCS serves approximately 500 students in Preschool (3-year-olds) through 8th grade.
At CMIPCS, we strike a unique balance in education by taking a global approach to learning, while always maintaining focus and attention on the development of the individual student. We encourage and respect individuality, building on our students’ strengths rather than expecting them to fit a predetermined mold. Through the lens of our international curriculum, our students gain an understanding, appreciation and respect for differences of all kinds, making them confident, culturally aware individuals capable of succeeding in a diverse and global society.
Position Overview and Responsibilities
Creative Minds seeks an education leader to support our instructional leadership team and program directors to bring our school’s vision to life. The Chief Academic Officer is a key member of the executive team who will oversee the instructional program, support, develop and manage school leaders and teachers in ensuring strong academic results and social/emotional development for all students.
This position will report directly to the Executive Director and manage the instructional leadership team. Additionally, the Chief Academic Officer will be involved in the overall leadership of Creative Minds and play an integral role in the instructional strategy of our established early childhood and elementary programs, and the implementation of our middle school expansion plan.
This is a full-time position, with a significant amount of time on campus and in classrooms.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Supervision and Management:
- Support instructional leaders in establishing, prioritizing and implementing programs that are aligned to CMI’s mission
- Ensure high quality, consistent implementation of the curriculum, strong instructional practices and routines
- Set and manage budgets associated with curriculum, instruction, and student activities/supplies
- Foster a supportive and positive culture while ensuring accountability
Coaching and Development:
- Observe and provide regular, actionable feedback to instructional leaders
- Organize professional development that is aligned to organizational goals and responsive to individual needs
- Develop and monitor professional development plans that include job embedded opportunities to address growth areas
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of instructional programs
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to determine instructional vision
- Implement the organization’s academic priorities and goals in collaboration with the instructional leadership team
- Provide leadership and support on adopting research-proven pedagogy and standards-based instructional practices
- Oversee hiring of highly qualified staff who excel at meeting the academic and social-emotional needs of students
Assessment and Data Strategy:
- Review data with instructional leaders to identify strengths, growth areas and corresponding instructional action plans based on formal and informal assessments
- Ensure student data is analyzed regularly and is used to inform lesson planning
- Lead the process for administering assessments and disseminating assessment results to staff and families
Qualifications and Characteristics:
- Master’s degree and/or training in school administration
- Proven success as a school principal or instructional leader
- Significant K-12 teaching experience and at least four years of experience in an instructional leadership role
- Strong coaching skills, with the ability to differentiate the approach and ensure feedback is implemented with fidelity
- Prior success managing a team to work collaboratively and achieve individual, team and organizational goals
- Able to work autonomously, while managing interdependencies and appropriately cascading communications
- Entrepreneurial problem-solver with a focus on driving results and continual improvement
Our mission is to provide students with the foundational skills required for successful participation in a global society by offering a highly engaging, international curriculum with project- and arts-based activities that foster creativity, self-motivation, social and emotional development, and academic excellence.
At CMIPCS you will join a staff uniquely committed to a vision of inclusion and equity for all types of learners. At CMIPCS you will find a team of educators who deeply believe that all students can learn and will make a contribution to their community. Our dedication to Arts-Integration allows for a creative and collaborative atmosphere, as classroom lead teachers, support staff, and enlightenment teachers all work together to plan engaging and enriching content that weaves the Arts into all subjects. At CMIPCS, we take seriously the idea that “no significant learning occurs without a significant relationship.” Each of our educators, regardless of role or responsibility, is committed to seeking out best practices for delivering instruction and responding to the academic and social-emotional needs of all children. The CMIPCS teacher is empathetic and welcoming of mistakes (both academic and behavioral) because CMIPCS educators know that mistakes lead to learning opportunities if children are held to high standards.
CMIPCS offers an exceptional and dynamic working environment with a positive and supportive culture including small class sizes (approximately 20), higher than average adult to student ratios, weekly and monthly professional development, comprehensive and generous benefits including medical, dental, 401K (with employer contributions), short and long term disability, life insurance, paid school holidays, personal and sick days, and parental and family leave, among others.
For more information about CMIPCS, visit our website http://www.creativemindspcs.org/and follow us on Twitter @cmipcs.
All interested candidates should use CMIPCS's People Admin Career Portal to apply for this position:
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Creative Minds International PCS is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law
Apply for Chief Academic Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly