The Primary School (Hayward), School Leader
- Job Type
About The Primary School
The Primary School (TPS) is a new non-profit organization dedicated to dramatically improving health and educational outcomes for children. Fueled by the belief that the current model of school is too limited to close the achievement gap for our nation’s most at-risk children, TPS is designing a new model of primary education and primary care which braids together education, health, and family support services starting at birth. We pair high expectations and joy in a powerful community of support to care for the whole child. We partner with a progressive health center that aims to redefine the boundaries of primary health care. With this innovative new model, we aim to expand the traditional definition of “school” in order to prepare all children to succeed in college, career, and life.
The Primary School approach has three defining characteristics:
- Provide integrated supports: We partner with an existing health care organization to address the needs of the whole child. Educators, parent coaches, and healthcare professionals come together as a team to provide integrated academic and health (physical, mental, and socio-emotional) services to students and families.
- Start early: We admit students at or before birth and will provide parent-driven, early childhood supports alongside medical care during the critical years of child development, ensuring that students are ready for school at age 3. Our infant-toddler program consists of regular parent-child playgroups to support the goals of attachment, language development, and resilience.
- Offer two-generation supports: We put families at the center of this work and focus on building parent capacity to support the health and education of their children. Families receive services including primary care, parenting coaching, and connection to other social services, to help them better support their children and become healthier themselves.
We opened our first site in East Palo Alto in 2016 to serve 300 children and their families (ages 0 to 5) by the spring of 2017. TPS was seeded by the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, major national philanthropy.
TPS is committed to designing a model that is replicable in other communities and redefines what is possible for our highest need children and families. We are investing in design, research, evaluation, and dissemination that will allow us to replicate our model and transfer our learnings to others.
About the Role
The Primary School is preparing to launch its next site in Hayward. We are seeking an outstanding, experienced school leader to take on the leadership of developing, implementing, and managing this new Prek3-8th-grade school. The new school is expected to launch with a preschool in Fall of 2020. We will grow an additional grade each subsequent school year until 8th grade.
The School Leader will spend part of the year learning in residency, while also doing the groundwork and design necessary to open The Primary School’s next site in 2020. The School Leader will receive mentorship and support from school leaders across the organization.
The Primary School was created on the belief that the current model of school is too narrow to support the needs of our highest risk children.
Our model expands the boundaries of school to:
1) start earlier (we admit children at birth);
2) integrate with socio-emotional and health supports, and;
3) engage deeply with parent(s)
Our leadership structure reflects this expanded vision; the expectation of all school leaders is that they both oversee the academic program and play a key role in incorporating these broader supports. As such, for the School Leader role, we are looking for an individual who both brings deep expertise in managing teachers and schools and a sincere desire to innovate and stretch themselves beyond the traditional school model and principal role.
Our philosophy balances high expectations for all children with a trauma-sensitive approach that addresses holistic child outcomes (academic, health, and “soul”). Our curriculum is inquiry-based and data-driven, and we believe that student voice and choice are driven by rigorous planning and intellectual preparation. We celebrate joy in the classroom and take into account the needs of the whole child, ensuring children are emotionally and cognitively ready to access learning.
The School Leader will work closely with our medical director and parent program lead to augment the classroom experience with health and parent supports that are both integrated within the school day and expand beyond the classroom. Our model is still in the early stages, and the School Leader will have an outsized opportunity to shape the design of the program and organization.
Refine The Primary School program model for a new community
- In partnership with site director, determine how the school program design in the flagship site will translate to a modified design for the new site, based on the resources and needs of the next community
- Support the strategic and tactical plan to build and open the new school site
Execute program delivery at our flagship East Palo Alto site
- Serve “in residency” at our flagship program site, receiving coaching from existing program leaders including our school principal
- Manage a variety of special projects at our flagship East Palo Alto site, with the goal of both delivering high-quality services to our current children and families and deeply understanding the complexities of our work
- Work with leaders in all three program areas (core school, parent program, and health) to understand their work
Lead high-quality instruction at our new Hayward site
- Coach and manage teachers to ensure they are prepared to deliver exceptional instruction and build positive classroom environmentsIdentify and reward strong performance, drive retention of high performers, and create opportunities for professional growth
- Develop and promote common instructional practices
- Identify and tailor the appropriate curriculum for each component of the day
- Drive instructional excellence by ensuring teachers receive appropriate and targeted coaching
- Develop and ensure the implementation of consistent, efficient, and safe practices and routines across all classrooms
- Build an arc of professional development to enrich organizational learning and deepen the practices of our instructional team
Identify and reward strong performance, drive retention of high performers, and create opportunities for professional growth
Build a powerful and positive culture among students, staff, and families at our new Hayward site
- Support deep family engagement and communications; work with family engagement lead to help parents understand and support academic learning at home
- Partner with the team to develop a school readiness program for children age 0-3 to ensure they are cognitively and socially prepared for school
- Build and sustain a culture of joy, inquiry, high expectations, collaboration, and continuous improvement for children, parents, and community partners
- Communicate regularly with families regarding student performance and academic achievement, coordinating with the parent support team
- Design and execute schoolwide events and rituals
Ensure efficient school site operations
- Ensure compliance with all program policies and procedures including state preschool licensing, CACFP/NSLP, and other regulations
- Coordinate with school operations team to ensure a safe and consistent school environment for students
- Manage staff, student, and classroom schedules to ensure efficient and consistent day-to-day operations
- Oversee usage of space and facilities for student programming, and manage related district and city relationships as needed
- Represent school in the annual budget setting process; manage ongoing school finances and ensure school upholds all fiscal policies and procedures
- You have previously led a high-performing school, early childhood, and/or parent program
- You have deep experience working with communities of color
- You have an exceptional grasp of best practices in instruction and curriculum, ideally for both early childhood and elementary school
- You have successfully designed innovative models and programs
- You have a deep commitment to re-defining systems and the way we care for our children
- You are a voracious and quick learner with a flexible mind and a willingness to question what you know
- You are able to inspire direct reports, colleagues, and teams to be their best
- You are relentlessly results-driven and have a record of managing towards and achieving exceptional outcomes for children and families
- You are highly collaborative and excited to work with an interdisciplinary team
- You excel in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and innovative organization
- You are deeply kind, humble, and courageous
- You believe in the mission of The Primary School and that all children and families are capable of extraordinary things
A Plus If...
- You are a Hayward or East Bay native and/or have experience working with a community similar to Hayward
- You have an understanding of early childhood education and child development
- You speak fluent Spanish.
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter online at https://sforce.co/2R8D0lL. For additional questions about this position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact Serena Moy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Primary School provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.