Superintendent, Sewanhaka Central High School District
- Job Type
NASSAU COUNTY, NY | www.sewanhakaschools.org
The Sewanhaka Central High School District is located in Nassau County (Long Island, NY). The District is bordered by New York City Queens County to the west and is an approximately 30 minute commute via the Long Island Rail Road to Manhattan.
The District serves approximately 8,500 students in five junior-senior high schools, grades 7-12 (Elmont Memorial High School, Floral Park Memorial High School, H. Frank Carey High School, New Hyde Park Memorial High School and Sewanhaka High School) and an Alternative High School. All five of the high schools have been designated Nation Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence. Students come to the Sewanhaka District from four elementary school districts within the independent communities of Elmont, Floral Park-Bellerose, Franklin Square and New Hyde Park-Garden City Park. Students represent cultural, economic, and ethnically diverse families.
The Board of Education is comprised of eight members, two appointed rom each of the elementary school districts served by the Sewanhaka Central High School District. The Board is seeking an educational leader for the position of Superintendent of Schools, effective July 1, 2019. The ideal candidate should have high expectations for all students and special interest in serving middle/high school education.
- The District recently completed an $86 million dollar building program to include the upgrades to all athletic facilities, auditorium and music room renovations, a new gymnasium addition at Elmont Memorial High School, a new addition at Sewanhaka High School and a new auditorium at Floral Park Memorial High School.
- The District recently completed an $18.6 million energy performance contract to include upgrades to lighting, HVAC and the installation of solar systems at all five high schools.
- The District is a one-to-one District with every student in grades 7-12 having an iPad that is for classroom and home use.
- The middle school has been detracted as all students are enrolled in Integrated Advanced classes in science, social studies, ELA and mathematics.
- The District is in its third year regarding the Cultural Proficiency Journey as community members and District staff and students were trained by Franklin and Brenda CampbellJones.
- The number of students taking AP courses and exams has increased significantly during the past seven years and students earning a 3 or better has also increased.
- The District administers the PSAT to all grade 10 students during the school day and each of these students is registered for a Khan Academy account.
- The District has implemented a full day Alternative School Program and an Academic Learning Center for all suspended students.
Candidates should possess certification in New York State as a Superintendent of Schools and have Central Office experience.
For additional information about this position and/or to apply, go to www.hyasearch.com
An Equal Opportunity Employer