Program Associate, San Francisco Bay Area
- Job Type
Position: Program Associate, San Francisco Bay Area
Reports to: Executive Director, San Francisco Bay Area
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Start: January 1, 2019
Facing History and Ourselves is an international non-profit organization that equips educators with the content, skills, and tools to teach middle and high school students about the consequences of racism, antisemitism, and violence.
The Program Associate will be responsible for delivering Facing History and Ourselves’ program services in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond, including implementation of Facing History at our current and future in-depth schools by working with individual teachers, teacher teams, administrators, and whole faculties, strengthening our network of teacher leaders, developing innovative ways to reach and support educators, and facilitating online connections between teachers through our networked community. The Program Associate will support and coach trained teachers of the program, co-facilitate professional development workshops and seminars, document relationships and communications with educators and key constituencies in our organizational database, recruit new teachers and schools to explore and implement Facing History and Ourselves, and manage events or projects on a case-by-case basis. Occasional evening and weekend work is required
Who we are
The Bay Area team is a small team with a large reach. We are passionate educators and care deeply about our community. Innovative and entrepreneurial, we constantly look for better ways to serve our teachers, our schools, and their students. We work closely together and depend on clear communication, commitment to each other as a team, and a positive energy.
Who you are
You share our passion for education, youth and the community. You bring your experience and unique perspective to make us stronger together. You thrive in a team environment, bringing both strong collaboration skills and independent initiative. You have a constant curiosity, and an appreciation for all of Facing History's core case studies. You are confident facilitating workshops and conversations that explore identity, racism, antisemitism and other challenging topics in diverse settings. You are equally comfortable building community face-to-face and online, and seek to be part of a team which is making a positive impact across Northern California.
- BA/BS; MA preferred
- Demonstrated and effective communication and facilitation skills
- Classroom teaching experience preferred
- In-depth knowledge of European and US history required (Facing History's resources focus on the Holocaust and other examples of collective violence, US history with a focus on civil rights and eugenics)
- Experience with literacy, writing/English/language arts/humanities, and Common Core standards a plus
- Fluency in online digital media literacy skills and comfort with integrating the use of Internet and other social media technologies; Knowledge of Internet and web communication for support of global network of teachers and students
- Experience with school reform movement, school culture, civil learning and culture competencies a plus
- Willingness to deepen knowledge in new content areas (e.g. growth mindset)
- Entrepreneurial and collegial style; ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to organize and execute tasks in a non-profit context
- Interest in, and ability to articulate the mission of this non-profit
Compensation and Benefits
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, limited free parking and a friendly work environment.
Facing History proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Applications ONLY accepted online at careers.facinghistory.org. Job posted until filled.