Managing Director of Schools
Ascend managing directors are the academic and cultural leaders of a portfolio of schools. They support and manage the school director to achieve the school's academic and organizational goals, to build and maintain a strong presence for the school in the community, and to develop and cultivate enduring relationships with students, teachers, parents, community members and stakeholders. Managing directors report directly to the chief academic officer.
The managing director role is an ideal opportunity for a dynamic and visionary individual to play a central leadership role in growing and shaping leaders of our premier charter schools committed to helping students achieve high levels of academic achievement from kindergarten through college.
Why extraordinary professionals choose Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,800 students across 12 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Visit our website to learn more about the Ascend approach.
The managing director of schools manages and develops school directors within an assigned portfolio of schools, supporting them to execute their responsibilities to a high degree of efficacy. Additionally, the managing director of schools will:
- Play a central role with the school directors in the hiring, development, coaching, and evaluation of leaders and teaching staff for the schools in the portfolio
- Regularly employ both formal and informal means to gauge the performance of each of the schools and the school directors
- Support school leaders to ensure high quality implementation of the schools' educational design, including curriculum implementation, student and adult culture, assessments, and parent relationships
- Work alongside school directors to identify and develop internal candidates for school leadership roles and provide future leaders with guidance and feedback along the way
- Assist school leaders in monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of programs and identify and acquire appropriate program resources to ensure that curricula meet students' needs and are aligned with the school's mission, academic standards, and strategic goals
- Provide professional development and instructional coaching to instructional leaders and teachers in diverse roles
- Work closely with the chief academic officer, schools team, and curriculum and instruction team at Ascend Learning to further refine and develop the Ascend school model
- Participate in key decisions with the senior Ascend leadership
Staff and reporting relationships
The managing director of school reports directly to the chief schools officer.
- Bachelor's degree, with advanced degree preferred
- At least ten years combined experience in teaching and school leadership with exceptional results, preferably in urban schools
- Expertise in teaching and working with scholars at either the elementary, middle, or high school level
- Record of success in leading adults; prior experience with direct management and supervision
- Ability to be a bold, tireless and engaging change agent and culture-creator; a visionary; a leader who inspires and motivates students and adults
- Exceptional self-motivation, entrepreneurial spirit and team orientation
- Problem-solving skills, with a combination of confidence and humility
- Effective and winning communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent organization and planning skills, with strong attention to detail
- Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working effectively with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results
- Self-awareness, with an ability to treat all members of the school's community with respect and an accurate idea of one's own strengths and weaknesses
- Absolute integrity
- Relentless commitment to preparing every student for college
- Commitment to improving the minds and lives of students from underserved communities; a dedication to doing whatever it takes to help all the school's students achieve academic success
- Passion for academic learning and insistence on academic excellence and rigor at all times
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Start date: December 3, 2018
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/bcy68trqdk43xxkr