Director of School Support - New Mexico
- Job Type
Director of School Support - New Mexico
Location: New Mexico (Carlsbad, NM preferred)
Position is available: June 2018
WHO WE ARE Achievement Network (ANet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that's grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country.
ANet has received multiple awards and recognitions, most recently receiving the highest ratings (Tier 1) on our math and ELA formative assessments from the Louisiana Department of Education, the only organization to receive such high marks. We were also named to The NonProfit Time's “Best Nonprofits to Work For.”
ANet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.
THE OPPORTUNITY As a Director of School Support (DSS), your coaching of school and system leaders will empower them to enact change that sets teachers up for success in the classroom, thus ensuring students receive the educational opportunities they deserve. You will leverage your past experience as an instructional leader to quickly build trust within your partner schools, identify strengths and opportunities, and develop action plans that lead to breakthrough results for kids. You'll be successful in influencing and motivating our partners because you thrive at marrying humility and assertiveness in everything you do. Your flexibility, team first approach, and commitment to equity will be infectious to everyone you interact with, whether it's a CAO of a school system, a principal of one of your partner schools, or another DSS on your team.
WHAT YOU'LL DO Partner with and coach school leaders to strengthen instruction and increase student achievement
- Serve as an instructional leadership coach for school leaders, inspiring and motivating teams, supporting school-wide change management, and building expertise in standards-based and data-driven instruction and teacher development
- Develop school leaders and teachers on effective use of real-time data from the ANet interim assessments to target student misunderstandings, to improve teacher practice, and to continually deepen understanding of the rigor of the Common Core standards
- Train and coach school leaders and teachers on effective backwards planning using state standards, complex texts, and curricula to achieve student mastery of grade-level content
- Analyze student data and use research-based practices to inform an individualized strategy for coaching each school
- Serve as a leadership coach for school leaders, partnering with them to overcome barriers to successful data-driven instruction and increased student achievement, including how to develop and leverage school-wide practices and structures to build a culture of achievement that accelerates student impact
- Engage in a gradual release of support to build some schools' independence with teacher development, first by modeling meeting facilitation, then observing and providing coaching and feedback to leaders on their facilitation
Develop a strong network of ANet schools
- Connect school leaders with other schools to facilitate best practice sharing
- Design and lead professional development sessions for groups of school leaders and teachers
- Ensure strong coherence between the coached schools in the district and the system level partnership work
Support internal ANet strength and growth
- Develop tools, coaching strategies, and innovative ideas for the organization that improve our ability to coach schools
- Serve in internal ANet leadership roles, which could include recruiting and hiring, network event coordination, sales, professional development planning and facilitation, and strategy development
- Work closely with local network teams (where applicable) to collaborate on learnings from school partners as well as the broader coach team to share insights across the the partner systems
- Participate in the capture of study of school and system level change over time through consistent artifact collection, qualitative notes and video capturing
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You are energized by roles where no day will be the same, but where instructional excellence is at the heart of everything you do. You know how to get breakthrough results for kids because you have a proven track record of using standards and data to drive instruction.
- You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels. You believe in the power of formative assessment, coaching, and professional development as critical levers in school improvement.
- You bring prior experience managing or coaching other adults (e.g. school leadership, instructional coaching, etc.) and know how to develop and motivate others to drive results, while balancing humility and assertiveness. You thrive off building strong relationships, especially when it comes to building trust and credibility quickly.
- You are a learner. You don't shy away from new or ambiguous situations, but rather dive right in and seek out opportunities to continuously improve your skills and expand your impact on kids, while learning from those around you.
- You draw others in. Your ability to read and respond to unspoken and implicit cues, and your engaging presentation skills leave others energized and wanting to know more.
- You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily. You are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet's Advance Equity and People Matter values.
- You are excited to partner with schools and systems within your portfolio and are therefore willing to travel and have access to a vehicle (mileage will be reimbursed) and/or public transportation in order to do so.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- Prior experience managing programs or initiatives at a district/CMO-level
- Prior experience working in and/or knowledge of the education landscape in Carlsbad and/or NM
WHAT WE OFFER ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/dcd3pybdsyzmjrq6