Copy Of Special Education Teacher (Grades PreK-8)
- Grade Level
- Early Childhood
Elementary School Teaching
Aurora Charter School
Aurora Charter School is currently seeking two Special Education Teachers for the 2018-2019 school year to better serve our growing Special Education student population.
- Under the general supervision of the Executive Director, to maximize the learning experience of students with special needs, in academics, interpersonal skills and activities of daily living by implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities, outcomes; addressing students' specific needs; providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Conducts assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of students for the purpose of identifying learning issues, and recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to overcome issues and maximize learning.
- Participates in Special Education Evaluations and assists in developing Individual Educational Plans ("IEP") for students.
- Schedules and coordinates IEP meetings for students in caseload.
- Assists students and teaching staff in implementing students' IEP's and behavior management plans.
- Coordinates with outside agencies, organizations and institutions, including state and federal authorities as needed.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with social work services.
- Serves as ready resource to students and parents to provide counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth, self-understanding, and behavioral management; serves as liaison between home and school.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and by maintaining professional relationships with members of institutions of higher learning and the business community.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping and providing student information to prospective high schools, as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Participates in the school's Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC).
- Provides in-service training for school staff.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Curriculum & Instruction Administrator and other central office administrators as designated by the Executive Director.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Uses standard office equipment such as computers, iPads, printers, copiers, scanners, fax machines, and telephones.
- Utilizes Google Suite to communicate and collaborate with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Must provide own transportation to and from job site.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Knowledge of Special Education principles, theories, testing, methods, etc. as well as proven methods of maximizing the educational experience of students with special needs.
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- State Certification as a Special Education Teacher.
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Successful prior special education teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.