- Job Type
Join a District on the Rise
SCS is dedicated to preparing all students for success in learning, leadership and life.
- We eat, sleep and breathe Destination 2025, our promise is that by 2025, 80% of our students will be college & career ready, 90% will graduate high school, and 100% of graduates will enroll in post-secondary education.
- Our work is deeply rooted in the belief that every child is capable of learning and that education is the great equalizer. With 84% of all students considered economically disadvantaged, Shelby County Schools truly is a place where progressive leaders in education can make a difference in the lives of our country’s most underserved children.
Shelby County Schools—one of the 25 largest school districts in the nation—is located in Memphis, TN, a city in the midst of a grassroots renaissance. Perched high on the bluffs of the Mississippi River, Memphis has long been a hotbed of cultural richness—blues, barbeque, and the legendary Beale Street run deep here—but a fresh wave of innovative thinkers are breathing new life into our city, resulting in an eclectic blend of historicity and innovation that you’ll find nowhere else on Earth. This renaissance spirit is evident in the food, music, architecture, and arts of Memphis, but is especially so in our schools, where you’ll find educators and district staff that are earning national recognition for challenging the traditional educational landscape.
Purpose and Scope
Shelby County is a district on the rise, and we’re building a team that’s as bright and dynamic as the community we serve. As the District’s Database Engineer, you’ll work on the frontlines of school success, ensuring that every child in our District receives a robust and achievement-driven education. In this role, you’ll develop, maintain, monitor, and extend the data warehouse and analytics architecture to meet the analysis and reporting needs of the largest school district in Tennessee. You’ll work closely with our decision analytics consultants and integration management service provider (iPaaS) to transform disparate raw data from multiple platforms into an easily accessible data store through the application of a defined data standard. This position requires flexibility, an eagerness to take on new challenges, and a collaborative spirit through which we’ll advance the decision analytic capabilities of Shelby County Schools.
Our Working Environment
Our district faces unique challenges, and because of that, we encourage unique solutions. We strive for a mission-driven working environment that empowers all staff to take ownership of their work, challenge the status-quo, and engage in creative problem solving to impact real change in our community. We work hard, push hard, and settle for nothing less than the best for our students, families, and staff.
Our Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package is also offered that includes health, dental, vision, flexible spending account options, and generous paid time off. Employees can earn up to two weeks of vacation in their first 18 months, 12 sick days and 17 federal/district holidays annually.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Services, Computer Engineering, Management Information Systems or similar field plus an additional 5 to 8 years related experience, or equivalent, for a total education/experience of 7 to 10 years.
5+ years of Microsoft SQL Server database administration experience
Experience managing a SaaS environment with a managed services vendor partnership
Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
1 year of SQL Azure experience would be preferred
Degree Equivalency Formula:
Bachelor’s Degree= 4 years plus required years of experience.
Master’s Degree= 2 years plus required years of experience. Where Master’s degrees are required, years for Bachelor’s Degrees must be included.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Expertise with SQL (Microsoft, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.), including the creation of complex views, stored procedures, and/or packages
- Knowledge of Ed-Fi or other educational data standard including the supporting definitions and structures
- Must have a strong understanding of database schema object management, data modeling and architecture.
- Strong background in implementing complex database stored procedures, functions, and trigger in PL/SQL, T-SQL or similar language
- Experience with some of the modern relational databases
- Skilled at optimizing large complicated SQL statements
- Knowledge of best practices when dealing with relational databases
- Ability to document and diagram technical systems and architectures.
- Ability to analyze complex data structures with minimal direction
- Understanding of iPaaS models and data warehouse theory
- Ability to monitor and maintain data quality and standards
- Strong team player with willingness to collaborate
- High comfort level working on multiple simultaneous assignments and dealing with assignment prioritization changes
- Excellent organizational, time management, written and verbal communication skills
- History of working cooperatively within a team environment and communicating with a wide range of people with varying levels of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work independently at times with minimal supervision and assistance.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online to https://centraloffice-scsk12.icims.com/jobs/13112/fy19---database-engineer/job
We review applications on a rolling basis, so it is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible. We will not consider applications without a cover letter tailored to this position, which can be addressed to the Human Capital department. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check. At Shelby Count Schools, we know that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position.
Learn More: www.scsk12.org
More searches like this
- Administrator High School Full-Time jobs in Memphis
- Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment & PD High School Full-Time jobs in Memphis
- Data / Assessment High School Full-Time jobs in Memphis
- IT / Technology High School Full-Time jobs in Memphis
- Technology Coordinator High School Full-Time jobs in Memphis