- Job Type
Creative Minds International Public Charter School (CMIPCS) is a tuition-free school located in NW Washington, DC, authorized to serve students from preschool through 8th grade. Now in its sixth year of operation,CMIPCS serves 440 students in Preschool (3-year-olds) through 7th grade. Two 8th-grade classes will be added in 2018-19 to complete the Middle School.
Elementary lead teachers at CMIPCS provide rich, age-appropriate learning experiences for classroom of three- to four-year-old students. Early Childhood Lead teachers, along with 1-2 assistant teachers, utilize an international curriculum, along with arts-integration and inclusion practices to teach a diverse student body. They encourage and respect individuality, focusing on the development of each child’s regulation and engagement in social-emotional learning and academic content. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Establishing clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, and assessments;
- Developing lesson plans that draw content from CMI professional development in the areas of arts integration and child development to reinforce student learning;
- Using a variety of instructional materials, resources, and experiences to enrich student learning;
- Meeting the needs, interests and abilities for all students, including students with disabilities, ELL students, and those who are gifted and talented;
- Administering CMI’s developmental assessment for each child and tracking students’ progress through the developmental milestones required for successful communication, self-regulation, and social interaction;
- Regularly observing students and taking anecdotal notes to inform planning in the arrangement of small groups, classroom set up, integrations of students’ interests in learning activities, and subsequent assessments;
- Monitoring student progress through frequent formal and informal student evaluations recorded in portfolio assessments;
- Providing educational opportunities that reflects an understanding of students’ unique sensory and information processing profiles;
- Using appropriate techniques and strategies that promote and enhance creative problem-solving, and evaluative thinking of students;
- Working with families to support the progress of individual students;
- Valuing the importance of play and providing opportunities for child-initiated explorations in the classroom throughout the day;
- Using effective, positive, respectful interpersonal communication skills;
- Establishing positive relationships with colleagues, students, families and the community which reflect recognition of and respect for every individual;
- Willingness or experience incorporating instructional technology into practice;
- Attend a two-week summer institute and other required professional development sessions.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills; Demonstrated ability to engage the interest of school-age children; Prior teaching experience, preferably in an urban setting; Demonstrated ability to work well with parents; Demonstrated ability to work effectively with teaching teams; Patience, flexibility, and a willingness to take risks; Consistently reflects on her/his own teaching practices; Experience working with linguistically and ethnically diverse student populations and children with developmental differences; Demonstrated commitment to professional growth and eagerness to learn; Demonstrated commitment to the well-being and success of all students
- Bachelor’s degree (required), Education degree (preferred); Praxis I; Elementary Praxis II (successful completion preferred, eligibility required); Previous experience teaching students in an elementary setting (preferred); Previous experience working with students with diverse needs (preferred); Two letters of reference demonstrating a commitment to professional growth, ability and willingness to collaborate with peers, etc. (at least one from a supervisor or principal, others from colleagues, new teachers, etc.).
Why join CMIPCS?
At CMIPCS you will join a staff uniquely committed to a vision of inclusion and equity for all types of learners. At CMIPCS you will find a team of educators who deeply believe that all students can learn and will make a contribution to their community. At CMIPCS we take seriously the idea that “no significant learning occurs without a significant relationship.” Each of our educators, regardless of role or responsibility, is committed
to seeking out best practices for delivering instruction and responding to the academic and social emotional needs of all children.
CMIPCS offers an exceptional and dynamic working environment with a positive and supportive culture including small class sizes (approximately 20), higher than average adult to student ratios, weekly and monthly professional development, comprehensive and generous benefits including medical, dental, 401K (with employer contributions), short and long- term disability, life insurance, paid school holidays, personal and sick days, and parental and family leave, among others. Salary will be commensurate with experience and includes excellent benefits.
All interested candidates should use CMIPCS's People Admin Career Portal to apply for open positions:
We will only be contacting candidates selected for interviews and will require letters of recommendation and/or references for any candidates being considered for this position.
Creative Minds International PCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
Apply for Elementary Teacher
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly