Human Resources Manager
- Job Type
We're excited about professionals who are fired up about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serve all students. Join us as we foster innate curiosities, encourage discussion and debate, and guide students to think their own way through to answers.
The human resource manager is directly responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resource function. This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. This position regularly requires long hours and may require some weekend work. Travel is primarily local during the business day to school locations. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
Why extraordinary professionals choose Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,400 students across 10 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Visit our website(http://www.ascendlearning.org/) to learn more about the Ascend approach.
The human resource manager is directly responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resource function. He or she develops and administers various human resources plan and procedures for all company personnel. Additionally, the human resource manager will:
- plan, organize, and control all activities of the department
- participate in developing department goals, objectives, and systems
- revise job descriptions as necessary; conducts annual salary surveys and assists the director of HR to develop merit pool (salary budget); analyzes compensation; monitors the performance evaluation program and revises as necessary
- with the approval of the director of human resources, develop, recommend, and implement personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains handbook on policies and procedures
- perform benefits administration to include claims resolution and change reporting
- develop and maintain affirmative action program; files EEO-1 annually; maintains other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations
- establish and maintain department records and reports; participate in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings, such as seminars; maintain organizational charts and employee directory
- evaluates reports, decisions, and results of department initiatives in relation to established goals; recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed
- ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local employment laws
- act as the face of network human resources department by maintaining “office hours” at schools in conjunction with providing HR support to directors of operations and school directors
- partner with the human resource coordinator to conduct onboarding and completes new hire process
- Maintain and update Human Resource Information System (HRIS)
- partner with the director of human resources to create and maintain HR Monthly newsletter
- partner with the director of human resources to create and administer employee health and wellness program; assess effectiveness through various methodologies, and provide feedback for improvements
The human resource manager reports directly to the director of human resources.
- A bachelor's degree and five years of human resource experience in the education or charter school space, or nine years of applicable experience in the education or charter school space, required
- A master's degree in human resource management with three to five years human resource experience in the education or charter school space or nine years of applicable experience in the education or charter school space, preferred
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) credential, preferred
- Business acumen
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Relationship building and cultivating
- Global and cultural Awareness
- HR Expertise
- Leadership and organizational navigation
- Experience in the charter school or education
- Strong project management skills
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/h9nhm7mn2qdvpszz