Portland Public Schools - Deputy Superintendent of Business & Operations
- Job Type
Portland Public Schools is transforming its academic agenda and school service delivery model, and we need strong, experienced leaders to help build our future and drive change and excellence.
Portland Public Schools envisions every student, every teacher, every school succeeding. As we commit to a major transformation under new, nationally-recognized leadership, we are actively seeking talented, driven professionals who are energized by big challenges. If you are solution-oriented, a strong communicator and collaborator, and passionate about urban education, then this is the place for you! Read more about PPS, our schools and programs, and beautiful Portland, Oregon, on our website at https://www.pps.net/domain/265.
We are currently seeking exceptional candidates for the Deputy Superintendent of Business & Operations Position. This is a tremendous opportunity to join a refreshed academic and instructional team in major transformation efforts under a brand-new, talented and dynamic Superintendent. Join us!
We are seeking a dynamic leader to be our Deputy Superintendent of Business & Operations. This new position will partner with the Superintendent and other executive leadership to develop and implement the business and operational systems and structures that will support the District’s critical teaching, curriculum, and student support work. As the day-to-day business and operations leader, the Deputy Superintendent of Business & Operations reports directly to the Superintendent and will lead the operational planning and efficiencies of streamlined business functions of finance and accounting; business operations (security, nutrition, transportation, purchasing, contracting, publishing services); technology; facilities and maintenance; and school modernization. The Deputy Superintendent of Business & Operations will work closely with the Superintendent and other executive leaders to engage and communicate with all major stakeholders, including students, teachers, families, community members, business and civic leaders, and other interested parties to ensure that PPS keep its promises to students and families, engage high achievement and joyful learners, and make equity a reality.
- Collaborate with the Superintendent and district leadership to prioritize the work of all leaders in ensuring equitable and high academic outcomes for all students.
- Build coalitions and works collaboratively with diverse stakeholders at all levels, including but not limited to district personnel, students, families, communities, and/or advocacy groups.
- Assume day-to-day duties of the Superintendent and other duties, as assigned by the Superintendent.
- Acts as a business liaison with local, state, and national agencies.
- Advises the Superintendent on all fiscal and operational matters.
- Assists in the general planning, organization and management of the District.
- Develops goals and objectives for the Business & Operations departments and provides clear direction for employees and programs.
- Identifies new and innovative business practices, achieving more effective and efficient business services.
- Participates as a member of the Executive Leadership Team and Superintendent’s Cabinet.
- Presents reports and presentations (e.g. interim reports, budget guidelines and assumptions, staffing ratios, new program analysis, long-range financial planning and negotiations analysis, etc.) for the purpose of keeping the Superintendent, Board, and other entities informed regarding the financial activity of the district.
- Provides supervision and leadership to senior leaders and teams responsible for:
- Finance, budget management, accounting, treasury, and payroll
- Business operations, purchasing, contracting, security, nutrition services, and transportation
- Facilities and maintenance planning, project management, and operations
- School modernization and bond management
- Information technology infrastructure and innovation
- Supervises the development of the annual budget for the purpose of addressing the needs of the District and complying with district, county, state and federal regulations.
- Master's Degree in Business or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10+ years of experience as a successful business leader including 5+ years of experience leading one of more of the following areas: finance, accounting, business operations, technology, facilities, maintenance, and school modernization.
- PK-12 public education experience, preferably in a large urban school district.
- Demonstrated success implementing and leading shared services.
- Experience in leading large scale business program development in an educational reform environment.
- System thinker with the ability to develop and implement specific, tangible plans.
- Proven ability to work effectively with racially and ethnically diverse staff, students, and community to bring groups together towards common goals.
- Experience in project management, including the ability to to identify, develop and deploy resources across multiple initiatives.
- Ability to build consensus and resolve conflict; exhibits willingness to have difficult conversations.
- Demonstrated ability to skillfully navigate existing political structures/systems.
- Skilled at re-envisioning, building and managing a team, especially in a time of growth and change; excellent at identifying talent and taking advantage of each person’s skills and contributions to team effort.
- Exceptional communication ability, both written and oral.
- Ability to listen and accept feedback constructively.
- Unwavering personal integrity.
- Ability to lead in a fast paced, demanding, constantly changing environment.
Salary commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Please visit our website at: https://www.pps.net/Page/2158 #17482
This job is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as received. Portland Public Schools reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any point during the posting period.
About Portland Public Schools read more at www.pps.net
Every student by name prepared for college, career and participation as an active community member, regardless of race, income or zip code.
Our Schools and Programs
Portland Public Schools, founded in 1851, is a PK-12 urban school district in Portland, Oregon. With more than 49,000 students in 79 schools, we are the largest school district in the state and one of the largest school districts in the Pacific Northwest. PPS benefits from an active and engaged parent and community partners. We offer a wide array of programs, including language immersion, fine arts, International Baccalaureate programs, athletics, technical, and health specialties. PPS students also attend the Head Start Early Childhood Education program, 10 community-based programs, 8 charter schools, 4 alternative programs and 10 special services programs.
Portland, Oregon, has often been called the big city with the small town feel. Nestled between the beautiful Coast Range on the west and the spectacular Cascade Range on the east, Portland sits at the junction of the Columbia and Willamette rivers. From downtown Portland, it’s just a an hour-and-a-half drive to the scenic Oregon coast or to Mt. Hood and some of the best skiing in the country, a half-an-hour to the peaceful vineyards and farms of the fertile Willamette Valley, and less than a three hour drive to see the Mariners or Seahawks play in Seattle.
The District is focused on eliminating systemic racism and its impact on student learning. PPS is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination in all its educational and employment activities. The District prohibits discrimination based on race; national or ethnic origin; color; sex; religion; age; sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; pregnancy; marital status; familial status; economic status or source of income; mental or physical disability or perceived disability or perceived disability; or military service. Portland Public Schools is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
More searches like this
- Administrator High School Full-Time jobs in Portland
- Assistant Superintendent High School Full-Time jobs in Portland
- Development / Grants High School Full-Time jobs in Portland
- Executive Director / Director High School Full-Time jobs in Portland
- Finance / Business / CFO High School Full-Time jobs in Portland