Science Curriculum Coordinator (JK-12)
- Job Type
Cambridge is a vibrant, diverse city and a central hub and driver of the nation’s innovation economy. Home of the renowned educational institutions of Harvard and MIT, Cambridge is also the center of an impressive array of biotechnology, science, and information technology companies.
Educating about 8,000 students JK-12, the Cambridge Public Schools includes award winning faculty, cutting edge technology, and innovative programs. While each of our public schools is unique, they are joined in a shared vision of rigorous, joyful, and culturally responsive learning plus personalized support for every student. Over 30% of CPS students speak a language other than English at home, and over 65 languages are spoken by our families. Among the most common are Spanish, Haitian Creole, Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, and Portuguese. Our schools proudly embrace this diversity.
Our Science department aims to develop scientifically literate citizens by teaching students to think critically and to instill a never-ending curiosity about the world. With a wealth of university, corporate and civic partnerships, science education extends beyond the classroom walls through such programs as the Maynard Ecology Center, the annual city-wide Cambridge Science Festival, CitySprouts, STEAM, and a host of other initiatives.
Reporting directly to the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, the Science Curriculum Coordinator is responsible for providing expert knowledge and consultative leadership with regard to JK-12 science curriculum, instruction, assessment, and professional learning throughout the Cambridge Public Schools. This is a key district leadership role, responsible for ensuring that our school communities are guided and supported in providing world-class science instruction.
- Promote innovation in science curriculum and instruction by demonstrating leading-edge knowledge of current science content and practice standards, curricular resources, instructional approaches, and available resources (including emerging technologies) to ensure that all students engage in rigorous, joyful, culturally responsive science learning experiences.
- Guide the alignment and sequencing of JK-12 science curriculum and work collaboratively with principals, other curriculum leads, and educators using backwards design to ensure a cohesive learning experience across schools.
- Manage, train, and effectively deploy the services of district-based science instructional coaches to support schools and educators in achieving excellence in science instruction.
- Design and implement assessment instruments and guidelines for data-based analysis of student achievement; assist district and building administrators in understanding and utilizing student assessment data for the purpose of enhancing student academic achievement and meeting district and state objectives.
- Develop and maintain corporate, civic, community, university-based, and other partnerships that yield enriching educational enrichment opportunities for students and professional learning opportunities for staff.
- Engage in teacher recruitment, hiring, and selection; support, coach, and evaluate teaching staff in using various pedagogical strategies, with a focus on engaging students in integrated, hands-on, real world learning experiences.
- Communicate department’s vision and goals to educators, administrators, families, school committee, and community members to facilitate an inclusive approach to meeting the needs of our students.
- Develop and administer department budget, including selection of science instructional materials, equipment, and supplies. Assist grant manager in securing grants for the improvement of instructional and student outcomes as needed.
Your Skill Set:
As an applicant for Science Curriculum Coordinator, you may possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Related experience in an urban, multicultural educational setting.
- Demonstrated experience leading and supervising teams of education professionals and working collaboratively with colleagues.
- Experience leading instructional improvement and curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Experience in developing and implementing professional learning activities, assessment instruments, research and data analysis, and resource development.
Other requirements include:
- Five or more years’ experience in classroom-based science instruction and/or curriculum leadership.
- Master’s degree or higher.
- Possess or be able to obtain Massachusetts DESE Licensure/Certification: Supervisor/Director - Science.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and verbal and written communications skills to convey information to different stakeholders.
Salary: $111,456 - $127,246, in accordance with experience and the Cambridge Education Association Unit B Salary Schedule.
Work Year: 11 months/206 days
How to Join Our Team:
Apply online at the Cambridge Public Schools website www.cpsd.us or via SchoolSpring. Please include a resume and thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills, experience, and commitment to equity in education meet the qualifications of the position.
Applications requested by May 1, 2018.
At the Cambridge Public Schools, we are committed to cultivating an environment where diverse perspectives and backgrounds are embraced, acknowledging that a team reflecting diversity of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, and veteran status allows us to serve our communities better. To that end, we welcome and encourage applicants to bring their authentic selves when considering employment opportunities within our school district.
More searches like this
- Administrator High School Full-Time jobs in Cambridge
- Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment & PD High School Full-Time jobs in Cambridge
- Curriculum Director High School Full-Time jobs in Cambridge
- Curriculum Specialist / Coordinator High School Full-Time jobs in Cambridge
- Specialist / Coordinator High School Full-Time jobs in Cambridge