0.5 FTE Middle School Health Education Teacher
- Job Type
Middle School Teaching/ Health Education
Clarke Middle School
August 27, 2018
The Lexington Public Schools is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse workforce committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages qualified applications from all cultures, races, and backgrounds.
Anticipated 2018 - 2019 position
Position Title: 0.5 FTE Health Education Teacher at Clarke Middle School
Reports to: Building Principal and/or Department Head
Terms of Employment: 184 day work year. Benefits and salary in accordance with the LEA Unit A collective bargaining agreement.
- Meets and instructs grade 6-8 students in Health Education during assigned class time and in the locations and designated.
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of the students.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate superior.
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and, in harmony with the goals, establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units and projects to communicate these objectives to students.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action the district's philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms and as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement if applicable.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s) and, cooperatively with department heads and principals assists in the evaluation of their job performance.
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as required.
- Teaches Health Education to pupils in a classroom, using the course of study adopted by the Board of Education and other appropriate learning activities.
- Instructs pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Evaluates pupils' academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss pupil's progress and interpret the school program.
- Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and self-selected professional growth activities.
- Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day.
- Administers group standardized tests in accordance with district testing program.
- Participates in curriculum development programs as required.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of pupil activities.
- All other duties as assigned.
Must hold MA DESE licensure Health Education licensure at the appropriate level
Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and possess a high level of capability with technology.
Must be able to assist in the protection of students and school property, assist the principal in fire and other emergency drills as required by law and School Committee policy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands or arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
** Salary schedule attached for 2017-2018 school year; successor agreement being negotiated
Applicants for employment are considered without regard to age, physical, mental or psychiatric disability, genetics, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, or military status.
Please apply online. Applications will be considered only when the online application is completed and a cover letter, resume, three (3) letters of recommendation, license and transcripts have been attached to your online application.