1.0 Middle School Special Education ILP Teacher
- Grade Level
- Middle School
Special Education/ Intensive SPED - Autism (ILP) Teacher
Diamond Middle School
August 27, 2018
The Lexington Public Schools is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse workforce committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment.and strongly encourages qualified applications from all cultures, races, and backgrounds.
2018 - 2019 Vacancy
POSITION TITLE: Special Education ILP Teacher
REPORTS TO: Building Principal and the Director of Special Education
Terms of Employment: 184 day work year. Benefits and salary in accordance with the LEA Unit A collective bargaining agreement.
The ILP teacher coordinates and provides children with autism spectrum disorders and related disabilities instruction in academic, social language, motor, self-help, leisure, vocational, and life skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The ILP Teacher will:
- Provide systemic, individualized instruction in an intensive learning environment with frequent hands-on practice in a variety of settings in a consistent manner using 1:1 or 1:2 ratio.
- Teach critical skills across settings to assist students to generalize academic, social, communication/language, vocational, health, safety and adaptive life skills in relevant contexts.
- Employ Applied Behavior Analytic (ABA) methodologies to teach skills across a student's day.
- Provide instruction in a variety of formats (task analysis, discrete trial, incidental teaching, group instruction) and incorporate other evidence-based curricula that best suit the individual student's learning style informed by data.
- Coordinate and facilitate communication with the general educator as necessary.
- Provide training, skill targets and curricula for community and pre/vocational opportunities.
- Direct classroom support staff while communicating with administrators as needed.
- Meet weekly with support staff to review student data and programs, curriculum, and student behavioral issues.
- Participate in district-provided safety and de-escalation training. Utilize skills and strategies as needed and in accordance with behavior management plans.
- Oversee implementation of the IEP for students on caseload.
- Use data to contribute to the development of the IEP for students on caseload and conduct necessary and assigned assessments to provide data for IEP development.
- Performs other related duties as required, directed, or as the situation dictates.
- Master's degree in special education preferred.
- DESE certification in severe special needs required.
- Good organizational and communication skills, experience in delivering 1:1 and small group instruction, ABA training with experience successfully implementing each instructional format is required.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience working with children diagnosed with ASD as well as leadership experience/skills and experience working in an intensive instructional classroom serving students with ASD required.
** Salary schedule attached for 2017-2018 school year; successor agreement being negotiated
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be willing and able to physically manage students if needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands or arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Applicants for employment are considered without regard to age, physical, mental or psychiatric disability, genetics, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, or military status.
Please apply online. Applications will be considered only when the online application is completed and a cover letter, resume, three (3) letters of recommendation, license and transcripts have been attached to your online application.