Superintendent of Schools
- Job Type
Harford County Public Schools is now accepting applications from experienced leaders.
First consideration application reviews will end on April 9, 2018. Interviews will be conducted in April and May, 2018. Position starts July 1, 2018.
- Maryland superintendent certification is required
- Knowledge of the Maryland education system, laws, funding, curriculum and assessment
- Willing to relocate to Harford County if not a current resident
- Competitive salary and benefit package with minimum salary of $200,000.
The Board of Education of Harford County and Harford County Public Schools Seek a Superintendent Who is:
- A leader who will work with the Board in creating a dynamic long term vision for the system that includes opportunities for all students focusing on technical, arts, vocational and academic instruction.
- An administrator with proven budget and financial skills who can articulate needs to all stakeholders and advocate to secure, balance and allocate the needed and appropriate resources to meet system priorities.
- An experienced and innovative leader who listens empathetically, values and responds to input from staff, parents and community and is committed to a collaborative and transparent approach to problem solving.
- A person of high ethical and moral character who respects, motivates, and empowers staff and encourages accountability and continuous improvement, while accepting responsibilty for the results.
- A successful educator with strong diplomatic skills who understands the unique characteristics of diverse communities and works with stakeholders to steward a vision of racial and cultural equity.
- A child centered communicator who will be active and visible in the community who will build bridges while passionately advocating for students.
About Harford County Public Schools
Approximately 37,500 students are enrolled in HCPS. The school system has the eighth largest student enrollment of the 24 public school systems in Maryland. Approximately 5,200 people are employed by the school system to provide the necessary educational programs and supporting services for the students.
Based upon firm beliefs in the value of youth and the obligations of public education to educate each of them effectively, the Harford County public school system provides comprehensive instructional programs and related student activities for the youth who are currently enrolled. Half-day prekindergarten classes are available for four-year-olds at 19 of the Harford County public elementary schools. Full day prekindergarten classes are available for four year-aids at two of the Harford County public elementary schools. A systemwide kindergarten program begins public education for five-year-olds with all 33 elementary schools offering full-day kindergarten. A carefully planned and appropriately sequenced curriculum extends learning from elementary, middle and high school grades toward graduation. Special programs and services are provided to accommodate the unique needs of each student, including those who possess exceptional abilities, talents and/or disabilities.
Harford County Public Schools has four Nationally Certified Project Lead the Way (PLTW) High School programs, a National Academy Foundation (NAF) model program, National Merit Scholarship Program Semifinalists each year and students receiving International Residential Code (IRC) certification through the Career and Technology Education (CTE) programs. In addition, HCPS has four magnet programs that include the Science and Mathematics Academy at Aberdeen High School, the Global Studies Program/International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme at Edgewood High School, the Natural Resources and Agricultural Science Magnet Program at North Harford High School and Harford Technical High School.
For more information and an application, visit www.mabe.org/services/superintendent-search or call 410-841-5414.