Director of Special Education
- Job Type
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Superintendent supervises special education personnel and works to provide sound educational programs for children who cannot sufficiently benefit from regular classroom programs. This position is responsible for the leadership, administration, and supervision of the school special education program and services.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain compliance with all state and federal requirements for special education.
- Guide the development and implantation of long-term and short-term plans for achieving special edication goals and objectives
- Monitor the development and implementation of all aspects of the special education program process
- Supervise and evaluate all daily activities of staff members relative to assigned tasks
- Provide accurate and timely data to the Arizona Department of Education for evaluating outcomes for students with disabilities
- Develop, monitor, supervise and manage all aspects of the annual budgets for special education services
- Review federal and state legislation/regulations related to special education; identify and share the impact of changes on the school
- Maintain open lines of communication regarding special education with all interested parties; respond to concerns of parents, teachers, etc.
- Maintain accurate database and files of former and current students served in special education
- Conduct ongoing needs assessments, collect and analyze data, use pertinent data to refine and improve ESS operational functions and services
- Facilitate research regarding trends and best practices to support appropriate recommendations for student success
- Service as the school liaison in all matters concerning special education
- Maintain communication network with other special education directors within the state
- Additional duties as needed
School-wide skills, abilities and expectations:
- Maintain a professional code of conduct, including but not limited to professional language, actions, and attire
- Maintain professional confidentiality of personal and private matters pertaining to students, parents, and co-workers
- Acknowledge and accept direction from leadership
- Demonstrate willingness and desire to work and collaborate with students, parents, co-workers, and the general public
- Communicate effectively, both verbal and written.
- Maintain positive and pro-active customer service in all aspects of communication, both internally and externally.
- Prioritize work and handle multiple tasks while working independently
- Display excellent planning and organizational skills
- Work under pressure, pay attention to detail, meet deadlines, and deal with difficult situations while maintaining composure, professionalism and a positive attitude.
- Take initiative to look at data analytically, showing excellent reasoning and problem solving skills as it relates to continuous improvement for professional, and personal growth
- Demonstrate awareness and willingness to understand personal role and how it contributes to the success of other departments or functional areas
- Embrace a culturally diverse environment
- Know and be proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Adapt to change while conveying professionalism
- Establish work priorities and work independently without supervision
- Highly Qualified in content area
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters or PhD preferred
- Arizona Teacher Certificate Cross Categorical certification preferred
- Teaching experience at the secondary education level preferred
Environmental Conditions: Usual office setting