Vice President, Schools
- Job Type
About Innovate Public Schools
Innovate Public Schools is a nonprofit organization focused on improving public schools in the Bay Area to make sure that all students - especially low-income students and students of color - have access to schools that will prepare them for success in college, careers and life. We work with educators from both school districts and charter schools to start excellent new public schools and redesign chronically low-performing schools. We publish easy-to-understand data and research to inform the public about which schools are excelling and which ones are struggling, as well as about the policy and school-based solutions that work. And we support and empower parents in high-need communities so they can effectively advocate for better schools and sustain community efforts over the long term.
Our flagship Schools Team program, the Start-Up Schools Fellowship, is a year-long leadership development program aimed at supporting school leaders who are planning to launch new, high quality schools, with a particular emphasis on students of color and low-income students. The Fellowship includes teams from charter schools and school districts and is designed to enable cross-sector learning. The Fellowship includes a variety of support activities, including leadership development seminars, excellent school visits, individual coaching, and developing detailed school design plans.
In addition to the Start-Up Schools Fellowship, Innovate provides other leadership development services to reform-minded charter schools, charter management organizations, and school districts. These services include support to design and implement high quality leadership development systems across charter networks, redesigning or transforming struggling schools into high-performing schools, and providing intensive school audits focused on improving management, instruction, and school culture.
Innovate also identifies and incubates Entrepreneurs-in-Residence, who are experienced school leaders in the process of designing and launching new networks of innovative, high-performing charter schools in the Bay Area. We also work to identify, recruit, and support future school leaders through our School Innovator-in-Residence program and our Innovation Teacher Leader Fellowship program.
The VP, Schools reports directly to Innovate’s CEO, and leads Innovate’s Schools Team and all their work. Major responsibilities include:
- Set a clear vision for Innovate’s current and future Schools work that aligns with Innovate’s mission and goals
- Lead and manage the members of the Schools team, including our Senior Program Managers of Leadership Development, Leadership Cultivation and World-Class Schools, as well as our Entrepreneurs-in-Residence (1-2 in a given year)
- Develop and manage the Schools team’s goals and budget, and monitor progress toward both
- Build and maintain relationships with current and prospective charter and district partners
- Oversee recruitment for all Innovate School’s programs (including the Start-Up Schools Fellowship, Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Innovation Teacher Leader Fellowship, and School Innovator-in-Residence programs)
- Serve as a member of Innovate’s senior leadership team, collaborating with other members of the leadership team to plan for Innovate’s growth, expansion, and success
- Collaborate with other members of the broader Innovate team, including parent organizers and researchers, to support their efforts to further our shared mission
- Provide 1:1 leadership coaching to Start-Up Schools Fellows, Entrepreneurs-in-Residence and / or other school or system leaders with whom Innovate is partnering
- Convene and provide technical assistance to innovators and education leaders in the Bay Area, including principals, teachers, education reform advocates, and school officials
- Support other organizational priorities, as defined by the CEO, given the flexibility required of all staff in a relatively small and fast-paced organization
- Travel regularly in the Bay Area, and occasionally to Los Angeles, Sacramento and outside California
This position is based out of Innovate Public Schools’ main office in San Jose, CA and will involve significant local travel within the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Passionate about Innovate Public Schools’ mission to initiate, support, and advocate for great public schools for low-income children and children of color.
- At least three years experience as a proven school leader or systems-level leader in district or public charter schools, with a demonstrated track record of success serving low income students and students of color.
- Politically agile: Can quickly and accurately read political situations and adeptly adjust to changing circumstances to address new challenges and take advantage of unexpected opportunities. Has good common sense.
- Excellent verbal communicator and ambassador: Can clearly communicate through speech and represent Innovate effectively to a variety of audiences, including parents, partner organizations, community stakeholders, school leaders, elected officials and potential funders.
- Leads with an equity lens: Driven by a commitment to equity, and considers decision through that lens. Can lead and strengthen an organizational culture that is deliberately diverse, equitable and inclusive.
- Collaborative project manager: Can manage multiple projects involving different individuals, teams and vendors to meet collective goals on time and with excellence.
- Experienced manager: Has experience supervising a team of direct reports and creating a productive, inclusive team culture.
- Transportation: Has a valid driver’s license and insurance and access to a vehicle
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Innovate offers very generous benefits including health and dental insurance, 20 days paid time off per year (increasing to 25 after 2 years of employment), two floating holidays, 14 paid fixed holidays per year (including office closure between Dec 24th - New Year’s Day), 1 day per year paid volunteering time off, and 5% employer contribution to 401k.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and the physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while successfully performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
Please submit your resume, a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and what you would bring to Innovate Public Schools. Open until filled. Target start date: Spring - early Summer 2018.
Innovate Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer, and takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
More searches like this
- Product, Services & Policy Middle School Full-Time jobs in San Jose
- Education Advocacy Middle School Full-Time jobs in San Jose
- Implementation / Customer Success Middle School Full-Time jobs in San Jose
- Partnerships Middle School Full-Time jobs in San Jose
- Professional Development / Training Middle School Full-Time jobs in San Jose