Principal Openings-District Wide
Principal Openings-District Wide
Cleveland Metropolitan School District
$92,000.00 – $113,000.00 per year
INTRODUCTION: CONTEXT AND MISSION
The Cleveland Metropolitan School District (CMSD) serves approximately 39,000 students in 103 schools. Over the past several years, the Greater Cleveland community has united behind the collective goal of ensuring every child in Cleveland attends a high-quality school and every neighborhood has a multitude of great schools from which families can choose. The Cleveland Plan defines CMSD’s approach to the reinvention of public education and holds our community accountable for the success of Cleveland’s school children. The Cleveland Plan is supported by Ohio House Bill 525, which provides much-needed flexibility and autonomy for the district and its schools, as well as a school tax levy originally approved by voters in November 2012 that generates up to $63 million annually.
The Cleveland Plan is based on a portfolio schools strategy – an emerging national model with demonstrated results that profoundly changes the way central office and schools have traditionally been organized. Our schools have autonomy over human and financial resources in exchange for high quality and accountability for performance. The Principal has primary responsibility and accountability for establishing his or her school as a high-quality, high-expectations academic center with a focus on personalized instruction, professional support for teachers, and school-wide practices that lead to measurable results.
CMSD seeks passionate full-time Principals who have a passionate belief in the capacity of all children to learn, a sense of urgency about making that real for CMSD students, and a personal sense of accountability for students’ success. CMSD Principals are responsible for creating strong school cultures and academic programs clearly focused on improving teaching practice and improving student achievement. Principals selected for this cohort will be responsible for ensuring that students in their schools receive the quality of education that will lead them to compete in and contribute to the 21st century global economy. Successful candidates must be instructionally strong and confident administrators who can provide decisive management, coaching, and rigorous leadership. This application is for entry to the applicant pool of PK-12 Principal opportunities for the 2018-2019 school year, to be filled as needed.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Manage a cohort of teachers to achieve their individual goals, coordinate action plans for professional growth, and evaluate progress in each goal
- Support the development of teacher-driven professional goals through a regular observation process, including pre-observation conferencing, observation, and post-observation conferencing
- Motivate faculty and help them use data to inform instructional decisions
- Collaborate with the Network Leader and Assistant Principal to plan and implement teacher professional development, including coordination of action research collaboratives and whole-staff professional development sessions
- Define both high-priority goals that get immediate results and a long-term strategies for success
- Implement District and/or Board of Education policies and procedures
Curriculum & Assessment Leadership
- Manage and oversee Department Chairs; support them in curriculum alignment, development, data analysis, and planning and running team meetings; hold staff members accountable for achieving results using The District’s Teacher Development And Evaluation System (TDES)
- Successfully demonstrate understanding of TDES in alignment with the Cleveland Plan.
- Oversee and ensure accountable implementation of assessment design and data analysis
- Use data to inform practice and drive decision-making and instruction at the school
School Culture & Character Development Leadership
- Advise school based leadership team, teachers, and staff on processes and protocols for enhancing school culture and determine when and how to modify rituals, systems and practices for the overall betterment of the school
- Oversee consistent implementation and upholding of cultural expectations
- Support teachers with student accountability and discipline matters, including coordinating and facilitating student-teacher interventions and parent-teacher-student interventions.
- Build relationships with all stakeholders including students, staff, faculty, parents, funders, board members, the school district, and the community.
- Manage academic and cultural programming in all grade levels
- Manage a student-based budget for school building
- Hire develop, and manage staff to grow leaders from within the school
- Coordinate all logistics and planning for end-of-year trips and quarterly team and family trips, including planning and implementing trip preparations throughout the year
- Master’s degree required
- At least three years of K-12 classroom teaching experience
- Certification or eligibility for Alternative certification as required by Ohio Department of Education.
- For Alternative Principal eligibility requirements, please access the Ohio Department of Education at http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Teaching/Educator-Licensure/Resident-License-Options/Alternative-Principal-License
- Building or district level administrative experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to successfully demonstrate an understanding of Teacher Development and Evaluation System in alignment with the Cleveland Plan.
- Strong record of helping students achieve academic success, primarily with minority and low-income students
- Experience working effectively with urban schools, students and families, and outside partners with demonstrated exemplary results
- Record of success in leading adults; prior experience with direct management and supervision
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit, be flexible, willing and able to play different roles at the school, and to go above and beyond to meet the varied and constant needs of CMSD scholars
- Special training and/or experience with school turnaround highly desirable
WHAT WE OFFER
CMSD offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, including dental and vision plans, life insurance, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, professional development, and contributions to the STRS/SERS retirement system. We also offer an inclusive environment where our staff is encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day.
Please submit your resume and application using our online Workday system at: