Middle School Principal
- Job Type
TITLE: ADMN Principal Pre-K through 12th Grade
DEPARTMENT: Office of Schools
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director
FT/PT: Full Time/12 Month
Tax Sheltered Annuity
Moving allowance to the Des Moines, Iowa district ($6,000)
Full family insurance
Under the supervision of the Director, the Principal is responsible for the implementation of the district’s education and special programs through the supervision, support, and evaluation of teachers. Guided by the principles of the Iowa Standards for School Leaders (ISSL), the school leadership framework, and the district’s vision, mission, and goals, the Principal will provide instructional leadership support to teachers and staff. This position requires continuous use of independent judgment. The essential functions as shown below represent only the key areas of responsibility; specific position requirements will vary depending on the needs of the students, staff, and community.
- Establish and promote high standards and expectations of all students and staff for academic performance facilitating the development, articulation, implementation, and stewardship of a vision of learning that is shared and supported by the school community.
- Foster a school culture and climate that supports both student and staff success and promotes respect and appreciation for cultural diversity.
- Manage personnel, including supervising, coaching, hiring and retaining high quality school staff.
- Lead, plan and support professional development of teachers focused on high quality, evidenced-based curriculum and instruction.
- Analyze school, district, and state assessment results to determine school progress towards meeting School Improvement Plan goals and to develop next steps to improve student achievement.
- Coach and support school leaders and teachers in the following areas:
- School culture with a focus on learning, continuous improvement, innovation and collaborative practice
- Systems to monitor and evaluate teacher performance to improve instruction
- Data-driven instructional practices to analyze and improve student learning
- Research-based instructional framework to observe teacher practice, provide feedback, and plan individual and collective professional development to meet identified needs
- Use of financial resources, time, facilities, technology and partnerships innovatively and equitably to accomplish the goal of powerful teaching and learning for all students.
- Development of instructional leadership capacity among teachers and leadership teams.
- Progress monitoring School Improvement Plans and performance targets.
- Resolve problems/issues with teachers, parents and staff.
- Implement district policies, procedures, and/or processes to manage and support staff with their assigned responsibilities.
- Regularly participate in district collaboration to ensure focus on support of teachers as the key driver of student achievement.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Represent Des Moines Public Schools effectively in the community, state, and nation. 12) Attend work on a prompt and regular basis.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Maintain satisfactory, harmonious and collaborative working relationships with the public, students, and other employees.
- Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership.
- Iowa Administrative Certification with evaluator approval.
- Demonstrated successful experience in administration.
- Demonstrated successful experience as a classroom teacher. (at least 5 years)
- Knowledge in current educational research relative to curriculum and standards-based instruction.
- Knowledge of educational programs. (preschool through adult)
- Exceptional organizational and organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Competency working in a culturally diverse environment or the willingness to acquire these skills.
- Specialist or Doctorate Degree.
- Knowledge and experience in leading adaptive change.
- Thorough knowledge of building the capacity of school leaders for the purpose of improving program quality and effectiveness.